Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Aftermarket sideview mirrors for 08 f150

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket sideview mirrors for 08 f150

Hey Fellas, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction? I have an 08 F150 and I want to replace the basic black stock mirrors with some that are paintable. I think that the Lariat already has painted mirrors and that is the look I am shooting for. I went to the dealership, but they wanted $600 PER MIRROR ! There has to be somewhere on the web that has what I need . Anybody know something??? Thanks!

BTW- I know that the new mirrors would need to be painted and don't come that way. I just need some that are smooth and not like the rough surface ones that come stock.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

not sure exactly where to find them, but I know you can get smooth paintable overlays for your current mirrors.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Take your time and do a good job with the prep, and you should be able to paint part or all of your mirrors on the truck. Be sure to wash them well with soap and water to cu tthrough any armor all or other chemicals that may have been applied. Sand, sand and prep some more, spray with a adhesion promoter, paint, clear and make it your own. I have painted several sets of stock mirrors and as long as you take your time prepping the mirror it will come out great.

Brandon
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 PM

autoanything.com for full replacements
Street trends have them too...with turn signals

These are sport style mirrors if you want the big tow mirrors try a salvage yard
Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the response guys. Hey, Brandon, I was told that if I tried to paint the mirrors on there now, the paint would not stay. They said because the stock mirrors have the rough/bumpy plastic, that it wouldn't be worth painting. Also, Brandon, do you know where to get the smooth overlays??? I have seen the chrome overlay but not basic black plastic.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:11 AM
This picture scares you

You have to sand down all the bumps to a smooth surface.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 AM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ exactly, its not very hard. ill be doing this some time in the next month exactly how brandon said
Old 02-15-2010, 07:25 AM

As long as you put the time in, they will turn out smooth and clean. I have never looked in to over lays. One suggestion I have would be to go to the junk yard and pick up a set of mirrors to work on so you can put in the time without worrying about driving around without the side mirrors. Lots of soapy water, couple different grits of sand paper up to about 800 in the end. Adhesion promotoer, paint and clear. In paint, it is all about prep. You can have all the money in the world and all the paint supplies but if you do not put in the time for prep, it will turn out lame.

Brandon
Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix
Hey Fellas, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction? I have an 08 F150 and I want to replace the basic black stock mirrors with some that are paintable. I think that the Lariat already has painted mirrors and that is the look I am shooting for. I went to the dealership, but they wanted $600 PER MIRROR ! There has to be somewhere on the web that has what I need . Anybody know something??? Thanks!

BTW- I know that the new mirrors would need to be painted and don't come that way. I just need some that are smooth and not like the rough surface ones that come stock.
You could always buy my custom smoothed mirrors from me? . I used high grade bondo to fill and smooth out the texture, and its as slick as the rest of the truck now. Even removed that annoying cutout seperating the Skull from the Base (i think ford factories only have the Skull paintable). The entire housing, along with the wedge that attaches to the door, is smoothed out. The mirrors are power only, so no signal, no heat, no puddle lamp. There is nothing wrong with them.

I'm not a fan of smoothing out the texture by just sanding it to my liking. The reason for that is you will actually be sanding the raised texture, to an open plastic, making the entire assembly like a swiss cheese, but with fine, minute holes. Bondo and you fill in the gaps rather then erase until them. Just my preference on things.

I'm just about to upgrade to towing mirrors (and smoothing them out as well when they come in) so these will need to be sold. Just asking $250, maybe + shipping if you're far away. Let me know as I'm prolly gettin my mirrors next week. I can provide pics as well, but they are the same one that are in my truck on the Album. Good luck in way you end up going. Thanks!

Last edited by VanoFord; 02-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sideview mirrors for 08 f150