Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Aftermarket HU problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
~Dot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket HU problem

Ok before I start lemme say I have browsed the threads on after market head units posted here and they have been very helpful in the our installation...so thanks to the experts out there who took the time to post detailed information. I am hoping that some of those same experts can offer me a little advice.

So here is the situation: We are installing a pioneer aftermarket HU in my 2006 F150 with factory sub. We bought the wiring harness and kit from crutchfield, and wired everything exactly the way it was supposed to. It powers on and works perfectly while stationary but when we begin moving the HU shuts off. We can power it back on while moving but it immediately shuts off again. Our first thought was just a loose connection so we soldered all the connections together and tried again with the same issue. We verified the power sources, tested the continuity between the wires, checked all fuses, etc, and even tested the HU in a different vehicle...We cannot figure out what is causing the unit to shut off. Anybody else out there with a similar issue got any advice for me?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

As soon as you place the lever in "D" (drive), or when you begin to move forward?

What model Pioneer? Does it have GPS? What Model Ford F150 (Lariat, XLT, etc)? What power source did you use for the head unit? Did you use a "plug and play" wiring harness (one that uses the stock radio connector, then wires to the head unit). Does your truck have controls in the steering wheel?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 PM
~Dot

Question

Originally Posted by Bucko
As soon as you place the lever in "D" (drive), or when you begin to move forward?

What model Pioneer? Does it have GPS? What Model Ford F150 (Lariat, XLT, etc)? What power source did you use for the head unit? Did you use a "plug and play" wiring harness (one that uses the stock radio connector, then wires to the head unit). Does your truck have controls in the steering wheel?
Its when we begin to move forward, we already considered the idea of it somehow being linked to the transmission, but the amount of time it takes to shut off when moving forward varies from 1 second to 10 seconds. Sometimes it does it in reverse too.

The HU is a Pioneer DEH-2100lB. No GPS. 2006 F150, FX4. We bought the wiring harness from crutchfield and yes it was plug and play. The truck does not have controls in the steering wheel.

I am gonna go ahead and throw out the disclaimer now that my boyfriend did the install while I watched. Although I am no slouch when it comes to electronics, I have very little experience with stereo install, so any dumbing down you do with the advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing that comes to my mind is to grab a multimeter and test the voltage on the 12v constant, ground, and 12v acc wires. It's got to be in one of those from the sound of it.

If the voltage drops on the 12v constant, you can bypass this by running a wire straight from your battery. Just make sure to put an in-line fuse in. I'll write again if something else comes to mind.

There may be a loose wire in the harness that stays just tight enough while it's not moving to keep it on and gets jiggled loose when you move the truck.

Last edited by WarrenT; 01-03-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my pioneer d3h-p6800mp head unit did this when i installed but it was all because of the "tel mute" wire, once i cut it my hu worked just fine, and had no problems since
Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
~Dot

Thanks for the help guys. As it turns out it was a bent pin on the HU harness. Made a decent connection till we starting moving then it jiggled loose. Straightened out the pin and the HU stays powered. Now if only I could figure out why the factory sub sounds a little off. It sounded much fuller when the stock player was being used. Now it sounds like some ranges are missing or something. It works...but isnt the same...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TrucksR4Grls
Thanks for the help guys. As it turns out it was a bent pin on the HU harness. Made a decent connection till we starting moving then it jiggled loose. Straightened out the pin and the HU stays powered. Now if only I could figure out why the factory sub sounds a little off. It sounded much fuller when the stock player was being used. Now it sounds like some ranges are missing or something. It works...but isnt the same...
Check the Low pass filter setting in the audio controls. That and make sure the HU amp is on the on or highest setting....

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU problem