Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

after market coils

Old 02-22-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market coils

I purchased a 2005 F150 last month. it has 179,100 miles on it. K&N cold air intake and summit racing coils and plugs. it has 33" tires with 18" rockstar wheels. The truck has acted up a couple times since purchase. today however was a 100 mile trip. it seemed to have been acting up while in a high gear while going up hills. mostly in 5th gear. it has happened to my brothers lifted 97 a few times, and it was a coil pack. I would think with high performance plugs and coils that it wouldn't be the case. but this seems to be doing the same thing. ive heard its not just my truck that has spark plug problems. could the summit racing plugs be whats causing it to act up or is it something somewhere else in the motor? Thank you for any answers.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by basshunt
I purchased a 2005 F150 last month. it has 179,100 miles on it. K&N cold air intake and summit racing coils and plugs. it has 33" tires with 18" rockstar wheels. The truck has acted up a couple times since purchase. today however was a 100 mile trip. it seemed to have been acting up while in a high gear while going up hills. mostly in 5th gear. it has happened to my brothers lifted 97 a few times, and it was a coil pack. I would think with high performance plugs and coils that it wouldn't be the case. but this seems to be doing the same thing. ive heard its not just my truck that has spark plug problems. could the summit racing plugs be whats causing it to act up or is it something somewhere else in the motor? Thank you for any answers.

I am no mechanic by any stretch but I can pass along what I was told by more than one competent mechanic(at least I think they are competent, put it that way). I had the same/similar issue and it was one or two of the coils along with a fouled plug. And like a lot of folks, I was looking at putting upgraded coils to replace the factory coils. Surely an upgraded aftermarket coil would be better than factory(in my twisted mind that made sense) I was told by the mechanics that you get no gain by going with expensive aftermarket coils. Again, this is what I was told, true or not it made sense to me once I thought about it and let it sink in. So when I went to buy the coils(went ahead and did them all instead of just one or two). I went with coils that have a lifetime warranty.

I assume that the aftermarket or upgraded coils do wear out like the regular coils at some point and time and need to be changed as well, regardless of the make or model.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. Good luck.

Last edited by BUCKSHOT; 02-22-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:23 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Who sells "lifetime warranty" coils?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Bucko, Summit does lifetime warranty on most products with their name on it more or less as a marketing gig even thought they do have good products.
For the OP, after market coils are not something these motors like. Reason being is that Ford actually put some time into engineering and tuning these things and they dont react well to much of anything except for Motorcraft plugs and COP's. My suggestion, lose the "upgraded" COP's and switch back over to Motorcraft. Also not to sound like a smartass, but these truck dont have a 5th gear.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by KCCOFox
Bucko, Summit does lifetime warranty on most products with their name on it more or less as a marketing gig even thought they do have good products.
For the OP, after market coils are not something these motors like. Reason being is that Ford actually put some time into engineering and tuning these things and they dont react well to much of anything except for Motorcraft plugs and COP's. My suggestion, lose the "upgraded" COP's and switch back over to Motorcraft. Also not to sound like a smartass, but these truck dont have a 5th gear.

Thank you. yes ive heard that motorcraft or OE parts have less problems and when I get it fixed I will most likely go back to those. also I mean over drive as 5th gear sorry,
Old 02-23-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you notice the motor hesitating or cutting out when you're WOT and around 55-60mph? More often when going slightly going up hill? Or does it full on misfire with a popping noise almost like a backfire?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:38 PM

I had the same issue after changing my plugs and coils, used motorcraft plugs and cheap coils from an ebay shop Global Supply. The problem turned out to be a plug that either arrived damaged or I broke somehow when installing.

The Global Supply coils however are still going strong 12months and 25,000miles later
Old 02-24-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Who sells "lifetime warranty" coils?

BWD via O'Reillys

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ignition+coils

Although I am a big fan of using OEM parts when I can, how can you beat a lifetime warranty VS. a 1yr. or 2yr. warranty?

With that said, I am 4yrs with these and have yet to have any problems.

Last edited by BUCKSHOT; 02-24-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Still $41.00 apiece. But with "lifetime", I'd be sure to keep the receipt, and visit with them oftem should they fail. I keep my vehicles a long time (my 2005 F150 had 153K), my Ranger has 211K; son drives it now), and my current 2007 4.6 has 101K.

Might look into this if these current Motorcraft COPS fail.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyB1232
Do you notice the motor hesitating or cutting out when you're WOT and around 55-60mph? More often when going slightly going up hill? Or does it full on misfire with a popping noise almost like a backfire?

Yes sir that's exactly what is happening. Only the popping is very quiet. Havn't had it WOT yet cause it's still new to me. kind of babying it still haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: after market coils