Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

After market cheap exhaust

Old 03-12-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default After market cheap exhaust

2004 Fx4, 5.4 98k miles. I have other posts on a seperate low idle issue but also think I have a plugged/melted cat or cats pretty much confirmed by my local meineke guy when we went for a test drive. Both the sound of my exhaust and lack of power made him think something is'nt right. He said he needs it for a good part of the day to take the front O2 sensors out and test/examine the internals. He also highly reccomended original type replacement cats if needed as compared to anything after market such as walker, flowmaster, magnaflow etc. He claims these brands dont have the same amount of the components as the originals and won't last long term. The contractor/carpenter in me understands you get what you pay for but is he snowing me. I know what he proposes is gonna cost big bucks. That would mean that all of you guys that did after market set ups are just biding your time. Im having some doubt about what he said and have not commited to anything. I don't think hes a bad guy, just giving me his experience in the matter. I have to get my idle problem fixed first but don't have any knowledge in this topic and have'nt gotten any other oppinions either. What do you guys think? I plan on keeping the truck for a while and know these trucks can be tempermental. Any thought would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You will be fine with Magnaflow replace cats. They are either California or Federal Approved.

The mechanic is telling you to go with OEM because they are probably twice as much.

JT
The following users liked this post:
Tommy J (03-13-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 PM
F150 Forum

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Flowmaster's line of catalytic converters have been designed and tested to meet or exceed OEM standards. That being said, the first thing that you need to do is figure out what caused your cat, or cats, to fail. You can replace the converters, but if you haven't addressed the reason that they failed, you can pretty much count on burning through the new units regardless of manufacturer.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

heartthrob is a cheap aftermarket exhaust. I have it and it's a pretty decent setup.
Tommy J (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster
Flowmaster's line of catalytic converters have been designed and tested to meet or exceed OEM standards. That being said, the first thing that you need to do is figure out what caused your cat, or cats, to fail. You can replace the converters, but if you haven't addressed the reason that they failed, you can pretty much count on burning through the new units regardless of manufacturer.
Been working on what might have caused it. Taking it to Ford next week. When the time comes may give you a call. Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 PM

I think the meineke guy was refering to the longevity of OEM versus after market. I noticed most only cover 2 yr internal/ 5 yr external
Old 03-16-2015, 12:51 PM
F150 Forum

Originally Posted by Tommy J
Been working on what might have caused it. Taking it to Ford next week. When the time comes may give you a call. Thanks
No problem. Good luck finding the culprit!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster
No problem. Good luck finding the culprit!
Took it to Ford and they could'nt find anything so Im thinking of doing the cats anyway because even the Ford Mech said the exhaust sounds suspicious and the lack of power upon acceleration. My question to you is does Flowmaster have a bolt on setup like something from the exhaust manifolds back to the cross pipe that I can do without any welding involved or any kind of do it yourself set up not including the muffler and tail pipe. I can do that later unless a whole set up is priced right. 2004 F 150 FX4 5.4 145 inch wheel base. Thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM
F150 Forum

Originally Posted by Tommy J
Took it to Ford and they could'nt find anything so Im thinking of doing the cats anyway because even the Ford Mech said the exhaust sounds suspicious and the lack of power upon acceleration. My question to you is does Flowmaster have a bolt on setup like something from the exhaust manifolds back to the cross pipe that I can do without any welding involved or any kind of do it yourself set up not including the muffler and tail pipe. I can do that later unless a whole set up is priced right. 2004 F 150 FX4 5.4 145 inch wheel base. Thanks
Yes. Flowmaster offers direct-fit catalytic converters for your F-150 that will bolt directly in place of your existing cats. Here is the link.
Tommy J (03-19-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Go straights man. Sounds like a wet dream.
2004 F150 straight pipe 4 cat back exhaust: http://youtu.be/LFFaeQkuesU

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After market cheap exhaust