Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Advice on used 04 F-150 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Advice on used 04 F-150 FX4

Hi all, I hope I'm not that annoying new guy that is asking redundant questions, but I have several questions involving an 04 F-150 FX4. I have searched the site and around google for answers/advice but I'm getting mixed answers, as well as biased answers. I understand this is a pro Ford website but it appears that you all offer strait forward, unbiased facts. Again, my google-fu is weak and I'm sorry if I missed some thing that has already been posted/is in the stickies, but I have checked both.

So, I have experience with chevy's, but not much with Fords. I am looking at buying an 04 FX4 with 74k miles on it. I have read around on several sites that say to avoid the 04 model due problems with cam phasers and speed wobbles (which were caused by various factors). The price on the vehicle is good, about 12,500 USD. I know that this vehicle has problems with the cam phasers, and that is about it. The window motors have been replaced on one side, and other than that it appears to be a solid vehicle.

I understand from reading around that it will cost about 850-1200 dollars to have the cam phasers replaced.Is this accurate?

And, is it worth it? I like that the truck has only 74k miles on it, but can I find a better deal on an FX4 in terms of mileage related to price?

Also, what are the chances that other problems common in the 04 F-150 present them selves soon? I am referring to shaking at speeds of around 70-80 MPH and major engine failure. I understand engine failure is seemingly random, but is it more common in some years than others? And if the truck doesn't have speed wobbles by now, what are the chances they will present them selves soon?

I understand this is kind of a "what if" thread, but I have much to learn about this stuff and any info is appreciated. The interior of the truck is in great shap and so is the exterior, and I understand it has never been in an accident. Does 12,500 seem like a good price?

Again, I'm sorry if I have missed some thing while searching, like I said, my google-fu is not strong.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well to start off I'm not sure about the price I paid 13,500 for my 04 fx4. Cam Phasers and spark plugs breaking off in the head were a common thing in the 04-05 years. Try working in getting plugs changed in your purchasing of vehicle. Speed wobbles I have not experienced in my truck I have 144,000 miles on it. There is no engine failures I have heard of for these 5.4s(not to say there isn't one). There is also a possibility of the parking brake getting stuck and dragging in the rear. There's a wire harness somewhere in the dash that was recalled ask sales about that and see what he says. I think your at a decent price. Lik always try and talk them lower. I love my truck evn though the cam Phasers.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 PM

How many miles did yours have? And what was the title like?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had speed wobbles in mine. I think that's due to user abuse. My old Taurus developed them after a business trip to Tulsa, the pothole paradise.
Whether or not the price is any good depends on a lot of things... 5.4? SCab? SCrew? Etc. biggest issue on these trucks will be the spark plugs and the cam phasers. I agree with the previous poster, get the spark plugs worked into the contract specifically. It's not covered under any of their warranty and maintenance plans. If its a SCrew w/5.4, price ain't bad. Try kbb.com of the KBB app to be sure.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 AM

It is a 5.4 V8 super cab. I guess my next question is, I have been reading a lot about the poor cam phasers and almost every person who has had theirs replaced ended up having to get a new engine shortly after. Is this the case for all engines with poor cam phasers? And also, this is a private party who is selling the truck, not a dealer. Seem too sketchy?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest, don't know anything about the cam phasers, just hear about people complaining. I almost think its an urban legend, because I hear about complaints, but no replacements. It's not a bad price, but I'd check Carfax and KBB.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Teddek
How many miles did yours have? And what was the title like?
Title was clean it had 128,000 when I got it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jmfalcon1
To be honest, don't know anything about the cam phasers, just hear about people complaining. I almost think its an urban legend, because I hear about complaints, but no replacements. It's not a bad price, but I'd check Carfax and KBB.
Mine has the cam phaser issue and at 144,000 miles it's still running strong. I haven't noticed any loss of power throttle response or mpg.

Quick Reply: Advice on used 04 F-150 FX4