Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Advice on sway bar bushing change

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Advice on sway bar bushing change

I've ordered sway bar end links and sway bar bushings to swap out for the originals on my 2004 Lariat Rwd Supercrew that has 133,000. I'm pretty sure the sway bar bushings are the cause of clunking when going over bumps or ruts while driving but changing the end link units as well. So my question is can I do the sway bar bushing change while truck is on my ramps or do I need to jack and put on Jack stands? I figure I need to take off wheel to do each end link and plan to Jack for those but what about the sway bar bushing change? I think I can get more clearance to get under truck with my ramps....
Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Very easy to change but when changing end links make sure you do both at the same time so the sway bar will will move to give the links clearance to pull out. The bushings on the frame are just as easy but might as well put them on while the end links are loose to give you some play room. If you don't have a lift then use your ramps if clearance is needed but make sure to put that E brake on ! OH and don't over tighten the bushings on the end links. Nice and snug. Shouldn't take more than an hour and good luck
Old 08-23-2015, 02:59 PM

I changed only the sway bar end links today and then took a test drive. That totally cured my clunking. The driver side had a lot of free play and although the boots still looked good I think at 133,000 it was just time and there was play in the ball joint. Very odd to not hear the clunk that I have gotten used to over past few months. I was hearing a clunk then rattle hitting any slight bump or pothole on a road. I got my end links from RockAuto and they were private label but have same part numbers as Moog parts - I think I got generic but real parts! May just hold off the bar bushings for awhile. I did have to heat the upper bolt that connects horizontally on both sides because they would just not come apart even with my 3 pound hammer, but a minute of propane and then a rap with hammer separated it easily. Fun to do a job that makes a noticeable difference.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

When the seat bar bushings wear you'll usually get a squeaking sound over bumps. I wouldn't mess with them unless they causing you problems.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:42 PM

That confirms my thoughts as well. I can just store the bushings till needed
Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 08 FX4, I got the driver's side link changed. I had to use crescent wrench cuz I couldn't find a deep socket the right size, what size is it, does anyone know?

I may have to cut the passenger side cuz the top nut is pretty froze up and rounded. Where can I get a new nut/washer?

Quick Reply: Advice on sway bar bushing change