Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

advice on front struts and levelling kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question advice on front struts and levelling kit

Brand new to the forum, but i have definitely spent time reading some great threads now and again.
I have had my 2007 Lariat Screw 4x4 for 2 years now and haven't had to do much in the way of repairs. It now has about 140,000km and when i was putting on my summer tires recently i noticed that my front driver side coil spring is broken (see pic). I haven't noticed any sagging or handling issues but judging by the amount of rust at the break i am thinking it has been that way for a while, but because it is broken right at the very bottom i think it is still doing quite a bit and that might be why i haven't noticed anything in how it drives. an alignment was done prior to my purchase and nothing was noticed then, and it seems to drive pretty straight and if anything it drifts a bit to the right (not sure why but i figured it would drift the other way)
So i need to get a new coil spring but i am wondering if there is a major safety issue with driving it as is for a while until i make up my mind on what to replace it with.
I guess my options are getting the coil springs replaced alone, or replacing the whole strut assembly (on both sides) with a Monroe quick strut or equivalent. this makes a lot of sense since my existing struts are still the originals. I have also been thinking about putting in a levelling kit for a while and this seems like a great time to do that.
so i got to thinking about the many different options and reading threads and got my self interested in the Rancho quick lift loaded. It seemed like the perfect solution because it would get my truck level and replace the broken and worn out original suspension. IF i went this route i would probably replace the rear shocks with some 9000xl's. But after reading some threads on here, i am a bit more skeptical. some older posts are leading me to believe that the rancho quick lift product might not be such a good fit for the f150, especially when its a 4x4 screw. Has there product been improved at all for fitting an F150? i guess my other options would be to go with
a) monroe quick struts and a spacer levelling kit (auto spring or HBS seem to be popular on here) OR
b) get some bilstein 5100s and a new coil spring (or 2)

I am wondering what others would do in this situation? What do people think of the monroe quick strut product or the other options i have mentioned? i currently run 33's without any rubbing issues and i would probably only want to lift the front end 2" max because i want to avoid the nose up look and don't mind a little bit of rake.
Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Especially from users that have experience with the Racho quick lifts or monroe quick struts. I guess i should mention that money is a big factor but i don't want to cheap out and end up doing this job again.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails advice on front struts and levelling kit-img_6487.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 11:34 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 337 Likes on 251 Posts

I would price out two options:

1)5100's with new OEM springs
2)Rancho quicklift loaded.

Both would be fine and work for your application, it's just you need to keep in mind the install for option 1 is more involved and requires spring compressors.

I have 5100's on OEM springs, and love that setup personally.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Rancho quicklift loaded,, this will be your best bet and will be able to install yourself if you choose...no coil spring compression needed.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback. The 5100s and new coil springs would cost at least 50% more and I am not sure that it would be worthwhile (not to mention the requirement for a spring compressor) I guess I could save a few bucks and reuse the surviving coil spring on the passenger side. But the quick lifts do seem like a great solution. It seems some people in older threads complain about not getting the advertised amount of lift. I am wondering if this is still an issue today or if Rancho has done something to fix this. Also looking to hear how well these have lasted for people?
Any thoughts on the safety of driving the truck in its current state?
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What did you end up doing?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by gugs
Thanks for the feedback. The 5100s and new coil springs would cost at least 50% more and I am not sure that it would be worthwhile (not to mention the requirement for a spring compressor) I guess I could save a few bucks and reuse the surviving coil spring on the passenger side. But the quick lifts do seem like a great solution. It seems some people in older threads complain about not getting the advertised amount of lift. I am wondering if this is still an issue today or if Rancho has done something to fix this. Also looking to hear how well these have lasted for people?
Any thoughts on the safety of driving the truck in its current state?
You do not want to use one old coil spring with a new coil spring
Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep

You do not want to use one old coil spring with a new coil spring
agreed. You’ll have one side lower than the other.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:05 AM

I ended up going with the rancho quick lifts. It was the easiest solution and i am happy with how everything turned out. I have had no issues with them yet.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:34 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by gugs
I ended up going with the rancho quick lifts. It was the easiest solution and i am happy with how everything turned out. I have had no issues with them yet.
good deal..

Quick Reply: advice on front struts and levelling kit