Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

adding a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adding a supercharger

I would like to add a supercharger to my 2005 BOSS. Which one should I get and how much is the cost of the install and whatother mods are needed. Am i looking at 10k when all is said and done. What about ones that might be pulled from wrecks or other used ones. Im also looking at headers.. should those be done at the same time
Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

How many miles do you have on your truck?

Best thing to do is find a kit that has everything ready to go...including the tuning solution. If you are going to be getting headers, do it at the same time because you will have to get it custom tuned.

Do you have a budget in mind on what you want to spend?

Brand new out of the box plus install and tuning can run you up into around $8-$10K.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:13 PM

my truck has just over 105k on it now.. is there a cutoff of when you should/shouldnt do it. I could understand the blower, but I would think I could do headers at any time even if i didnt do the supercharger. I dont see me going over 10K. If it were over that high, i would think it would be more practical to find a newer model that already had one and trade up
Old 06-11-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Might as well buy a 2014 Ecoboost...
Old 06-11-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Go with a whipple 2.3 kit. They are about 6k new or 3k used.. Bolts 8psi of boost right onto your truck in about 10 hours.. You can bolt smaller pulleys on after for more boost.
You will want to add a boost and wideband 02 gauge, for supporting mods.. Start there, and then do your exhaust, headers, etc. every other mod you do following a supercharger will be well worth it, including a CAI, bigger throttle body, gears, tires, brakes, exhaust.
Custom tuning is always recommended, but the stock whipple tune will get you running fine on day 1.
I bolted a whipple onto mine at about 160k miles.. I dropped a valve at 195k miles which was not supercharger related, it was a seized lash adjuster that broke in half and knocked the spring off the rocker and bent the valve, which in turn fell into the motor and melted into the piston..
I'm now running a new motor and have been boosted since day 1 at 9psi for 7k miles with nothing but great things to say. The truck halls ***, tows like diesel, and gets better gas milage than stock. Total supercharged miles on this blower kit are around 45-50k miles and counting, I could never imagine driving this truck without out a blower ever again.
Attached Thumbnails adding a supercharger-photo695.jpg  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
Go with a whipple 2.3 kit. They are about 6k new or 3k used.. Bolts 8psi of boost right onto your truck in about 10 hours.. You can bolt smaller pulleys on after for more boost. You will want to add a boost and wideband 02 gauge, for supporting mods.. Start there, and then do your exhaust, headers, etc. every other mod you do following a supercharger will be well worth it, including a CAI, bigger throttle body, gears, tires, brakes, exhaust. Custom tuning is always recommended, but the stock whipple tune will get you running fine on day 1. I bolted a whipple onto mine at about 160k miles.. I dropped a valve at 195k miles which was not supercharger related, it was a seized lash adjuster that broke in half and knocked the spring off the rocker and bent the valve, which in turn fell into the motor and melted into the piston.. I'm now running a new motor and have been boosted since day 1 at 9psi for 7k miles with nothing but great things to say. The truck halls ***, tows like diesel, and gets better gas milage than stock. Total supercharged miles on this blower kit are around 45-50k miles and counting, I could never imagine driving this truck without out a blower ever again.
This is exactly what I'm wanting for mine. Looking for little added power and more torque when towing. Looks great!
Old 06-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by casey.mikl
This is exactly what I'm wanting for mine. Looking for little added power and more torque when towing. Looks great!
If this mobile app would let me access all my pics I would show you my CAI and better pics, but sadly this app has almost no true support.

Definitely go for a whipple over all other blower kits, they are by far the best, simplest, and provide the most Tourqe down low with proper tuning and a cooler air charge temp.. Once blown you will likely never want to get rid of this timeless looking model year F150..
The power is just so reliable and safe, it's hard to see why, outside of cost, that more people haven't jumped on the blower bandwagon yet. I payed 2k for my blower used years ago on this forum, so keep your eyes peeled, because the deals do inevitably turn up..
Old 06-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah I'm gonna look for a used setup. My truck goes to ford this week to get the timing chains replaced as well as phasers. There's a used setup on eBay right now for $2500.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:43 AM

lets see.. i already have the CAI.. my gears are 3.55 ..i have 275/55/20 wheels and tires and dual catback exhaust with the BOSS setup. Would i just need to add a throttle body spacer?? what would i need to do to the brakes. I have an EDGE EVO with a PHP 91 custom tune which i know would need to be changed with the addons
Old 06-19-2016, 01:34 AM

in looking for a used kit.. what year models are straight up compatible..just 04-08 or do the 99-03 kits work as well..or any after 09

Quick Reply: adding a supercharger