Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Adding missing options- feasible?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Adding missing options using OEM parts - feasible?

Hello to all, my first truck, my first Ford.

I have a 2004 F150 STX Supercab 4x4.

It has AC, Heat, Cd changer manual 4x4 shifting and that's about all.

If this were a Toyota or Dodge, I would n't need an answer, but Ford made SO MANY variants of this truck my head is spinning.

How feasible is to to add power options (windows, locks side mirrors)? I prefer OEM if possible.

For example, I've seen this:
Amazon.com: FULL COMPLETE CAR TRUCK 2 WINDOW AUTOMATIC POWER KIT WITH 3 SWITCHES KIT: Automotive Amazon.com: FULL COMPLETE CAR TRUCK 2 WINDOW AUTOMATIC POWER KIT WITH 3 SWITCHES KIT: Automotive

But would rather install this:
http://www.1aauto.com/ford-f150-truc...=806009&y=2004

But I'm really wondering such things as:
  • Will the door shells I have have the proper mounting holes?
  • Will the Glass also need to be changed/mount different?
  • What else would be needed from a physical mounting perspective?

Every place you look just "goes by the book" and says "will not fit your vehicle" and I can't help to think that they may mean "will fit and work, but will require additional parts or electrical wiring" I'm needing help from someone who knows for fact that OEM parts can fit or they can. Wiring and missing switch or a mounting location is not important to me.

I'm an electrical engineer and have some decent basic "fabrication" skills, so assuming I could get my hands on the proper pigtail connectors or door harness wires, I can design and make a simple relay circuit and switch to mount to the dash somewhere. I'm in the process of looking for the OEM wiring schematic or manual for this truck as well.

I am curious with the same basic questions about the power locks and mirrors, can't I just get the entire door lock mechanism from a truck with power locks, replace the actuator if needed and mount it in the OEM place and wire it up with a simple circuit?

I can't be the only one who has wanted these features on a truck that didn't have them. Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

Last edited by broderp; 09-25-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:42 AM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

If you have any questions about the tow mirrors that we carry, I can help you out.

Tony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding missing options- feasible?