Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

adding a cruise control help please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default adding a cruise control help please?

Okay, so I have an '08 F150xl, no cruise ctrl. I have gathered, thru searching posts and studying, that I can just order the small kit for about $115 that is the buttons to replace the blanks on my steering wheel, then just go to dealer and have the computer reprogrammed to include this. Got it so far. Well, what do I have to undo to plug in the new buttons? Remove air bag or access panel or something? Anyone that have done this, please plug in here, I want to be sure I can perform the needed task before engaging in this activity. thanks, gary.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:48 PM

I'll bump this one time, just in case someone sees this and knows about doing it...thanks, gary.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, as I'm still trying to find out the same information. After numerous calls to Ford and talking to numerous techs, I finally got confirmation that you can indeed add the switches and just get the computer reprogrammed. However, the tech told me that I would also need a new steering wheel, one that's set up for the switches, which doesn't make any sense to me because, just like your XL, my steering wheel already has the blanks in place. If I could find out how to remove the steering wheel and put the switches in, I'd go ahead and do it, but same as you, I'm having trouble finding any info on this. Anyone else?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM

It would not make any sense for the tech to tell you that we would have to get another steering wheel/ Why would they put the blanks on the wheel, it would just be bare if not ready for the buttons. I think the steering wheel swap out is for the older model trucks, maybe '04 and back.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Originally Posted by gwstang
It would not make any sense for the tech to tell you that we would have to get another steering wheel/ Why would they put the blanks on the wheel, it would just be bare if not ready for the buttons. I think the steering wheel swap out is for the older model trucks, maybe '04 and back.
That's my thought as well. Just not sure how to take apart the steering wheel, and with the airbag there, I'm not really comfortable just removing screws/bolts and hoping for the best.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it can be done with buttons and the pcm recalibration. To get the air bag out, on the back side of the wheel there are two plugs you pop out to access the bolts holding the air bag in. I believe they are 8mm head, could be t-30 but anyway remove those two bolts then the air bag will pull out, just be gentle with the plugs so you dont break em. You are ok without disabling the system, or if you feel better you can remove the air bag fuse and disconnect the battery.
Once the air bag is out you will have access to the buttons or where you need to install the buttons, I dont believe you have to remove the wheel. All the ones I have done the salesman just have us swap the steering wheel with another vehicle instead of just installing the buttons, so I'm not 100% positive about the wheel removal to install just buttons.
If you do need to just remove the T-50 bolt and use a two jaw puller on the frame of the wheel and it will pop right off. For some reason they dont have the typical threaded holes on the 04-up f-series to remove the wheel but a two jaw puller works great. Good luck
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks so much for the info, you are the man!!!! I'll give this a try in a month or so and get back to this thread so it can help some others who need to do this in the future!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will look into it a little more for you to be sure, I think ford sells the whole wheel for some reason and not just the buttons. I know you can add cruise I have dont that multiple times but every time I have done it it was with a whole wheel and not just buttons. I dont seee why you cant just take out the blanking plates and put buttons in. I will look into it further for ya
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Proudly Rockin the XL!

Originally Posted by gwstang
Thanks so much for the info, you are the man!!!! I'll give this a try in a month or so and get back to this thread so it can help some others who need to do this in the future!
+1, thank you VERY much for the information! My one concern is the turning of the steering wheel, and is the cruise control wiring supposed to go through a loom of sorts? If so, is this loom in place?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
FOREVER FORD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cruise

If this truck is drive by wire, not throttle cable, it can be done. I am a ford parts counterman. They sell and accesory steering wheel that includes the switches. It is rather inexpensive, and yes the PCM has to be programmed to use it. The only thing that will not work is the green light in the cluster that normally is illuminated with trucks that have cruise from the factory. I know that for a fact. Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply: adding a cruise control help please?