Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Adding Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding Cruise Control

What is involved in adding cruise to a 2008 F 150?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JT I see that you didn't get many replies so I will add a few thoughts.... I just purchased a Plane Jane 2006 F150 with the 4.6 Ltr. engine. I use my cruise control a lot so I am going to add it to my new ride. I have done a little research and found that all I need to do is add the switches to the steering wheel (about $40). The connectors are already in the area where the switches are to be installed. After the switches are installed, all that should be needed is to get the "computer" on the truck flashed to add cruise control function. I haven't checked to see what the dealer is going to charge for this. I do have a Rotunda Diagnostic Unit which could do this but I don't know enough about programming yet to do it. I know I will have a lot of truck friends when I do get to know how to use it. Maybe some Community College time!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Correllbil
JT I see that you didn't get many replies so I will add a few thoughts.... I just purchased a Plane Jane 2006 F150 with the 4.6 Ltr. engine. I use my cruise control a lot so I am going to add it to my new ride. I have done a little research and found that all I need to do is add the switches to the steering wheel (about $40). The connectors are already in the area where the switches are to be installed. After the switches are installed, all that should be needed is to get the "computer" on the truck flashed to add cruise control function. I haven't checked to see what the dealer is going to charge for this. I do have a Rotunda Diagnostic Unit which could do this but I don't know enough about programming yet to do it. I know I will have a lot of truck friends when I do get to know how to use it. Maybe some Community College time!
It is a very simple install, less than 30 minutes. The dealership charged me $100 I think for 15 minutes work to program it, high I thought but still pretty cheap overall. It works perfect and the school idea sounds great.
The following users liked this post:
Correllbil (02-25-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 AM

There is a thread in the interior or electronics section just for this.

I had my computer reprogramed to enable the cruise function, but I still need to buy the switches.

If you are able to or know a tech at Ford, you may want to just ask them to do it without the service department getting involved. The service department may not even know that its possible to do so, and they may charge the **** out of you for something simple.

A buddy of mine brought one of Ford's IDS home and we hooked it up to my 07' XL, located the speed control and activated it in like 10-15 min. Pretty simple.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Got my switches from Amazon today. I will try to put them in this weekend. Then off to the dealer to get the programming done. Has anyone had their PCM updated just to have it done? My truck has some strange gear changed that could maybe be solved with a transmission update.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 AM

I'm having a hard time finding a dealership that knows how to do it. Might be the knuckleheads service mangers. Im sure the techs would know how to do it. Any thoughts.

Quick Reply: Adding Cruise Control