Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Adding Acetone = better mpgs?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Adding Acetone = better mpgs?

I'm hoping someone has heard of this, but i've heard people not only speak of but prove that adding a small amount of 100% acetone to there gas tank increased there MPG's by 30%? WHAT THE? Has anyone on here heard of this... they are speaking off very small amounts like 2oz per 10 gallons of gas... and 100% acetone not the kind mixed with water.... Anyone?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

It's an old myth about acetone improving mileage. When acetone burns it doesn't give off much exothermic energy. Acetone goes along with the mothballs myth to improve mileage. Every time gas gets high people throw all kinds of crazy things in their tank, none of which have been shown to work.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut10.shtm
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acetone

tried it, minimal results. the man that pushes all this qualified himself in his article. V8 works against you. automatic trans works against you. his best result was on a 4 cylinder, stick shift car not a truck. i drove for about a month using 1 1/2 oz per gallon. seemed to help around town slightly. could have been my trying to get better mikleage. 1000 mile trip pulling trailer, only one segment of the trip resulted in better mileage. so my experience resulted in possibly a slight improvement in mileage, whether from acetone or change in driving habit. didnt notice a big drop when i quit using it either. try it you may have better results than i did.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by FL77er
tried it, minimal results. the man that pushes all this qualified himself in his article. V8 works against you. automatic trans works against you. his best result was on a 4 cylinder, stick shift car not a truck. i drove for about a month using 1 1/2 oz per gallon. seemed to help around town slightly. could have been my trying to get better mikleage. 1000 mile trip pulling trailer, only one segment of the trip resulted in better mileage. so my experience resulted in possibly a slight improvement in mileage, whether from acetone or change in driving habit. didnt notice a big drop when i quit using it either. try it you may have better results than i did.
But you DID notice a drop huh? I'd imagine you probably continued with the same driving habits after changing back to not using it... how did the truck feel though.. did it run smoother? Performance? And you said you added 1 1/2 oz per gallon? Isn't that a bit much? I've heard only like 2 oz for 10 gallons?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't put anything besides unleaded fuel in my gas tank, maybe a bottle of techron once a year but that's it. Acetone in your gas tank is snake oil.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

around here acetone costs about $15 a gallon, ill stick with regular 87 octane gasoline.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's bunk. If it was that simple, the gas stations would be selling this miracle 30% more mileage gas in a patented super dooper top secret blend (at a 15 cent per gallon premium) and have lines around the block.

Sorry dude, if it seems too good to be true...it usually is.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go set a rubber gasket in acetone for an hour. Is better mpg worth engine seal life?

Last edited by ZX6ROCKET; 04-20-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of trying it out with 2 oz per 10 gal. So far I do notice an overall performance change. I bought 1 gallon of 100% Acetone for 5 bucks. To everyone else posting. If you don't have any facts to contribute to helping out then your just spreading rumors an your comments will be brushed off. As far as soaking seals in 100% acetone. That is a no brainer that there will be a change in size. BUT when you put 2 oz per 10 gallons, you will not see the difference. I have buddies that have been doing this method for over 10 years an have not one bit of problems only yearly savings on fuel and a cleaner engine on the inside. I'm just testing for myself because I've witnessed that it works. I just have to find out which ratio amount works best for my truck.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlackIce83
I'm in the process of trying it out with 2 oz per 10 gal. So far I do notice an overall performance change. I bought 1 gallon of 100% Acetone for 5 bucks. To everyone else posting. If you don't have any facts to contribute to helping out then your just spreading rumors an your comments will be brushed off. As far as soaking seals in 100% acetone. That is a no brainer that there will be a change in size. BUT when you put 2 oz per 10 gallons, you will not see the difference. I have buddies that have been doing this method for over 10 years an have not one bit of problems only yearly savings on fuel and a cleaner engine on the inside. I'm just testing for myself because I've witnessed that it works. I just have to find out which ratio amount works best for my truck.
This makes me want to try it on a couple of fill ups

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Acetone = better mpgs?