Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Add USB to factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add USB to factory head unit

Anyone! I'm trying to add a USB port onto my factory 2006 F150 XLT. My idea is to get a P.I.E aux input adapter like this

(http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469FRD4AUX/…

and then just get a 2 rca to usb converter, like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/67…

My goal is to maintain stock head unit, while being able to play music AND charge the device thats being played..

The stereo has an AUX button that is currently for satellite radio, but it is not being used, so i dont care about the satellite radio functionality.

I would like to replace the cigarette lighter with something like this

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-10q3/…

But i cannot find anything with just the usb, so if you have any suggestions there, that would be helpful as well
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Isn't going to work. There is nothing in that configuration to read the file system on the thumb drive nor a codec(software) to play the music files back. Besides, you need a female usb port for your thumb drive. That rca to usb is to connect devices, like a record player to your pc or mac.

You could use that PIE adapter and an 1/8" to male rca cable and use a device like an ipod, however.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 AM
I know it's backwards

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree with the above, but as far as the usb for the cig lighter...... If you're just trying to use it as a charger, I have one of these that works well.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-Universal-Micro-Colors/dp/B0042B9U8Q/ref=pd_sim_e_1 http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-Universal-Micro-Colors/dp/B0042B9U8Q/ref=pd_sim_e_1
Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

my buddy got one of these to play music on his stock head unit and really likes it. There are fancier models if you want more options.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM

I'm really trying to stay away from an FM transmitter. I want to hardwire something to the truck that can both play and charge.. Anyone have anything there?

I don't want to play from a thumb drive. I will use a cord to play from an iPod/android phone, etc. So that should work, right?

Last edited by alyons_2008; 12-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you have the factory stereo that has the AUX button, and DO NOT have the factory entertainment system (DVD player), you can use the PIE adapter that comes with the iPhone/iPod cable (link below). It will charge and play music from any iDevice, excluding the iPhone 5, iPad mini, and any other new ones with the lightening adapter. Although you can get an adapter that will connect the old 30 pin to the new lightening adapter and it will work. I just installed one of these last week, and it works great. Super easy to install too.

There may also be an adapter out there somewhere to go from the iPod adapter, back to USB, but I'm not aware of one. I though about trying to install one of the iPhone dock chargers somewhere, so I could just attach my phone anytime I'm driving.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by adeath; 12-30-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alyons_2008
I'm really trying to stay away from an FM transmitter. I want to hardwire something to the truck that can both play and charge.. Anyone have anything there?

I don't want to play from a thumb drive. I will use a cord to play from an iPod/android phone, etc. So that should work, right?
I've somewhat looked into this. I want to hardwire a USB port but haven't found anything with connecting it to a stock radio. I have the PIE adapter but that's just an AUX and a 30pin iPod charged. Which plays and charges. But I have an iPhone 5 now and only use the Aux. I have steering wheel controls with it as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM

So if it will charge and play an iPod, if I got a RCA to "female" usb, it shouldnt have a problem playing if I put a USB cable attached to something else?

I dont know if I'm being clear on this. I want to be able to play both iPods and my android phone, without an FM transmitter. I want to be able to use the usb charger for either device, plug the charger into a female usb that is ultimately attached to my HU.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

The PIE will not support charging, you can use an rca to 1/8" mini jack to play music from any device to the radio. You will need a separate cable just for charging.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 PM

I want to do this, so I can plug in any device.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...r:86,s:0,i:352

Damn, I just saw that post. Do any of the adapters support charging?

Quick Reply: Add USB to factory head unit