Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Accelerator lag

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accelerator lag

I have a new to me 05 5.4 lariet 4x4, 75xxx miles. Hopefully I can explain whats going on so that it make sense. Is there any type of adjustment of the accelerator pedal to throttle response? On every other veichle that I have owned, there was no delay from pressing the pedal to throttle response, it seems that I have to press the pedal a ways before I get any response. I believe that this all electronically controlled, is there any adjusting to make pedal pressure more receptive(if that makes sense). This is my first ford product and am needing to know if this just a character trait of f150's or if there is something out of adjustment. I've cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body, also changed the vct solenoids for the tick(which actually made it get better). Would appreciate any suggestions. When I drive my wife's car I usally squall the tires the first few times because I'm used to having to press the pedal farther to get any response.
Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a trick to reset the pedal. The computer 'learns' how you drive and this is what you will want to reset. I forgot what its called but someone else will chime in on it. Also a programmer will cut out this feature and give you way better response. Diamonbird trick or something like that i think its called
Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

- Insert key and turn to on position without starting.
- slowly but steady press the throttle to the floor
- rapidly remove foot from throttle and turn off car
- repeat 2-3 times
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

held242, I've tried this several times already, with no changes. Anythng else that I could try, not really interested in getting a programmer if there is another option. I'm planning on changing plugs as soon as it warms up(no garage, temps in the teens), do you thing this would make any diff?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I did this in my truck. The change was minor but it was there. Or perhaps it's all psychosomatic. Just seemed like I had to press the pedal just a little less to keep it up to speed on the highway and from dead stops at stop signs and red lights in town.

I'm thinking Gotts mod for me next.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Hi.

OP - sorry - that ttrick will not work.

Yer Ford ETC vehicle has 3 APPS sensors ( Applied Pedal Position ) - all are continuously being monitored/compared/sanity-checked by the PCM, including Adaptive functions which keeps the throttle calibrated ( this is done to compensate for sensor aging and any other 'drift' or offsest that may occur.

As such - this so-called 'tweak' is already being done on a continual basis by the PCM.

We staked that Vampire long ago, at any rate. Not gonna belabor the point, as some folks just refuse to listen. Long story short - I did a 'blind taste test' with a neighbour - it failed. Hence to my mind this is simply wishful thinking and an example of the 'Placebo Effect'.

The ONLY proper and effective way to eliminate throttle lags, ETC delay and a host of other delays ( e,g Open Loop deferral ) in the factory tuning calibration is with a good custom tune delivered via a flash programmer. SCT preferred (personal choice).

The cost of getting yer truck out of "Soccer Mom' mode is ~$400.

Good luck.

Last edited by MGD; 01-29-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Accelerator lag