Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

AC charge question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC charge question

Hello all,
Can you properly re-charge the AC system after a compressor/dryer replacement if the AC clutch is not engaging?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 PM

Reason I ask is I replaced my compressor & dryer this weekend after my compressor pulley bearings went out. I took it to the shop today so they could do a vacuum check and recharge. I got a call later in the afternoon saying vacuum was good so they went ahead and added the freon but they told me the clutch was not engaging. They said it would be $60 just to troubleshoot the issue so I told them not to worry about it. It ended up just being the fuse so Im glad I didnt have them look at it. After thinking about what they said and a little research Im pretty sure you need the clutch to engage in order to properly charge the system but I was hoping someone could confirm that for me? I want to call the shop back in the morning and tell them they need to look at it again since the clutch wasnt working but I want to make sure I know what Im talking about. Thanks in advance.
Bbgun
Old 08-25-2015, 05:32 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Was the dryer replaced as well? Anytime you "open" the A/C system, its a good idea to replace the dryer.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by bbgun83
Reason I ask is I replaced my compressor & dryer this weekend after my compressor pulley bearings went out. I took it to the shop today so they could do a vacuum check and recharge. I got a call later in the afternoon saying vacuum was good so they went ahead and added the freon but they told me the clutch was not engaging. They said it would be $60 just to troubleshoot the issue so I told them not to worry about it. It ended up just being the fuse so Im glad I didnt have them look at it. After thinking about what they said and a little research Im pretty sure you need the clutch to engage in order to properly charge the system but I was hoping someone could confirm that for me? I want to call the shop back in the morning and tell them they need to look at it again since the clutch wasnt working but I want to make sure I know what Im talking about. Thanks in advance.
Bbgun
I believe the clutch will not engage until there is the proper charge in the system...
Old 08-25-2015, 07:10 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by techrep
I believe the clutch will not engage until there is the proper charge in the system...
This is true; it prevents the clutch from wear when there is no pressure detected from the pressure switch/sensor.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 AM

Since my fuse was blown the clutch never engaged, I dont see how you can be sure you have the right pressure in your system if the clutch does not engage.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Since my fuse was blown the clutch never engaged, I dont see how you can be sure you have the right pressure in your system if the clutch does not engage.
An A/C shop will connect gauges to the low and high valves to read the pressure. If it's low, you have a leak. Once the leak has been corrected, the system has a vacuum applied to it, and Freon is added. It will take Freon; as the A/C clutch will cycle on/off rapidly until enough pressure is in the system for it to operate correctly.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Fool in the Rain

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello all,
Can you properly re-charge the AC system after a compressor/dryer replacement if the AC clutch is not engaging?
Yes, it is technically possible. You can warm a refrigerant cylinder and weigh in the amount required, without the clutch engaging, although from your story I would seriously doubt this shop did that. Ask them.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 AM

I talked with the shop and apparently they have a machine that just charges the system by weight so there is not need for the clutch to engage. I'm going to take it back in and have them check the pressures just for an insanity check. Thanks all for the help.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

yep...

Quick Reply: AC charge question