Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ABS Light

Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light

Been having some problems with my 2005 F150's ABS System lately. Started out with a just a bit of noise when I made a right turn, like the ABS system was kicking in. This went away for awhile, but has returned, and now I can hear as well as feel through the brake pedal, the ABS engaging. Evnetually, the ABS light comes on, the noise stops and the truck seems to behave normally. If you turn the truck off, the light is off when you restart it. The issue only happens when I am turning right, and it doesn't matter how fast I am traveling, or whether or not I am using the brakes. I was thinking maybe the speed sensor, anybody else run into this?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 AM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtimes
Been having some problems with my 2005 F150's ABS System lately. Started out with a just a bit of noise when I made a right turn, like the ABS system was kicking in. This went away for awhile, but has returned, and now I can hear as well as feel through the brake pedal, the ABS engaging. Evnetually, the ABS light comes on, the noise stops and the truck seems to behave normally. If you turn the truck off, the light is off when you restart it. The issue only happens when I am turning right, and it doesn't matter how fast I am traveling, or whether or not I am using the brakes. I was thinking maybe the speed sensor, anybody else run into this?
Mine did the exact same thing you stated above.Your speed sensor is just about shot,and your ABS module will need to get replaced.If you let it go long enough(i did mine for a year almost)ABS lights stays on,and eventually your abs will not work and your cruise will not work either.The sensor was about 40 bucks from a on line website if i remember correctly,and the abs module was about 110bucks,if i remember correctly.Cant remember the website.Maybe taskaparts.com cant exactly remember.Have them pull the codes and it will tell you.Let us know what you find out.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Before you go and buy parts, try a can of brake cleaner and spray the sensor that seems to be the culprit. It may be coated with miles of brake dust. The sensor may be failing due to brake dust build up.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
VanoFord2

Originally Posted by Bucko
Before you go and buy parts, try a can of brake cleaner and spray the sensor that seems to be the culprit. It may be coated with miles of brake dust. The sensor may be failing due to brake dust build up.
Thanks for that one.Forgot that.I did that to mine,didnt help.However tho,might help for op.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 PM

I had already removed the speed sensor, looking to see if there might be some metal shavings on it. Gonna pick my new sensor up tomorrow, hopefully that will get it. What is the reasoning behind putting the ABS module on?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 PM
VanoFord2

I had already removed the speed sensor, looking to see if there might be some metal shavings on it. Gonna pick my new sensor up tomorrow, hopefully that will get it. What is the reasoning behind putting the ABS module on?
Reason being cause you said at times your abs kicks in,then goes away.Thats a sign saying it might be getting ready to go.Well thats how it was with my F-150,and my friends about 2 counties over.Let us know if it goes away.Just remember tho,after installing the speed sensor,clear the code and see if it comes back.Might take a couple of days,or might come right away that day.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM

The speed sensor didn't fix it, the ABS light stayed off for about an hour. Should I proceed with the ABS Module next?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
VanoFord2

The speed sensor didn't fix it, the ABS light stayed off for about an hour. Should I proceed with the ABS Module next?
If your still haveing the problem of your abs kicking in when you break,then yes proceed with the ABS Module next.Let us know.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 PM

Finally got it fixed, ended up being the speed sensor in conjunction with a bad bearing in the left front hub. The bearing wasn't making any noise, and I hadn't removed the wheels when I tried changing the speed sensor. Noticed a lot of play in the bearings when I finally pulled that wheel off.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, my truck did the same thing. It had the light come on when I turned sharp right shortly after start up. Now the ABS light just stays on. I have an inspection due this month, so I probably should get it taken care of so I can pass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS Light