Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

About to pick up a 2005 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About to pick up a 2005 Lariat

Hey guys. I joined the forum today because I'm in the process of working a deal on a 2005 Lariat CC 4x4. The wife wanted to get rid of her car for a truck, and because I'm shadowing doctors in the area getting ready for professional school, I still only have a part time job, and when I start professional school, I wont have a job, so I'm not wanting a payment.

Anyways, we posted her car up (2005 Infiniti G35 coupe) on craigslist a while ago for cash or trade, but everyone was either lowballing or offering junk. Well, yesturday a guy contacted me wanting to trade one of his F150's for the car and sent pictures. The truck looks fairly good IMO. So we've been talking. It's got a tear in the drivers seat and some blemishes on the interior. a small dent in the tailgate, and some paint peeling on the tailgate as well, but overall a decent truck appearance wise. As far as the motor, the body has 217k miles on it, but he had the engine replaced at 152k because of the phaser issue ended up destroying the motor from what he said. He does have receipts for the replacement at the local ford dealer which is a plus because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heard, "it's got 200k+ on the body but it's got a new motor." but when you ask if they have a receipt proving it's had the work done they say, "oh, no I don't." Anyways, so the new motor has around 60k on it, if it is in fact a "new" motor and not a used one from a junk yard.

Well, today he contacted me and told me the check engine light has been on, and that he ran it by a shop and they plugged it in. He couldn't remember the exact codes but said 3 codes popped up. "low performance" or something to the affect, "pedal position sensor," and "knock sensor." The one I'm most worried about is the knock sensor code.Is there a code that detects knock, and another code that says the sensor is bad? The last thing I want to do is trade a perfectly running car, for a truck that actually has knock. I've dealt with knock on my old 300zx, and the end result is nothing I want to deal with. Whats up with the pedal position sensor? He says the pedals adjust just fine and everything. Could he be thinking "throttle position sensor?" And the guy that read the codes said the "low performance" code is a result of the "pedal code." can someone explain to me these codes, cause the guy I'm talking to doesn't really know how to explain it to me. Also, when I go to look at this truck on Sunday 2 hours away, what should I be looking for? I have AE with the Enhanced Ford bundle that I will be taking with me to plug the truck in and run a scan and I will ask him about the plugs, but what should I be most alert for?

UPDATE: I looked at the complete list of trouble codes for the Ford F150 to see if I could find the codes he was talking about and these are the possibilities I've come up with.

Pedal Position Sensor
P1135 - Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent
P1214 - Pedal Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent
P1215 - Pedal Position Sensor C Circuit Low
P1216 - Pedal Position Sensor C Circuit High
P1217 - Pedal Position Sensor C Circuit Intermittent
P1223 - Pedal Demand Sensor B Circuit High Input
P1252 - Pedal Correlation PDS1 and LPDS High
P1253 - Pedal Correlation PDS1 and LPDS Low
P1254 - Pedal Correlation PDS2 and LPDS High
P1255 - Pedal Correlation PDS2 and LPDS Low
P1256 - Pedal Correlation PDS1 and HPDS
P1257 - Pedal Correlation PDS2 and HPDS
P1258 - Pedal Correlation PDS1 and PDS2
P1575 - Pedal Position Out of Self Test Range
P1576 - Pedal Position Not Avaliable
P1577 - Pedal Position Sensor Disagreement Between Sensors

I'm not seeing any "knock" trouble codes.

Codes with the word "Performance":
P1249 Wastegate Control Valve Performance (I highly doubt it's this one since the 5.4 Triton isn't turbocharged)
P1404 IAT - B Circuit Malfunction/ Exhaust Gas Recirculation Closed Position Performance
P1751 Shift Solenoid A Performance
P1756 Shift Solenoid B Performance
P1761 Shift Solenoid C Performance
P1766 Shift Solenoid D Performance
P1768 Performance / Normal / Winter Mode Input Malfunction

Can someone explain to me what this "Pedal Sensor" is? Is it the sensor on the accelerator pedal, and if so, why are there so many different codes for it? The guy also said the shop that ran the codes said the "performance" code is due to the "pedal sensor" code. Does any of those performance codes get thrown because of a pedal sensor?

Last edited by basscat82; 08-04-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

Why are you not running away from this deal? If your Infiniti is running fine keep it. You just said you have a part time job and about to not have a job at all. The last thing you need is a truck to sink money into. Why do you need the truck anyways? Do you tow, haul, offroad?

Don't buy this truck
The following users liked this post:
screamineagle (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

These trucks have an electronic throttle body. That can throw the "pedal position" code or whatever it's actually called. I would run away from this deal without hesitation. Your looking at a 2 hour drive for a money pit. Those can be found locally I'm sure
Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by redranger04g
Why are you not running away from this deal? If your Infiniti is running fine keep it. You just said you have a part time job and about to not have a job at all. The last thing you need is a truck to sink money into. Why do you need the truck anyways? Do you tow, haul, offroad?

Don't buy this truck
I haven't ran from this deal because we want the truck. Hence why im asking these questions. The thing is, she got the Infiniti when she was in college and has owned it for 9 years. It's a small 2 door car, and we do a lot of traveling between where we live and our hometown with kids. As far as the hauling question, yes we have a travel trailer and a boat, but I have an F250 for that.

Originally Posted by screamineagle
These trucks have an electronic throttle body. That can throw the "pedal position" code or whatever it's actually called. I would run away from this deal without hesitation. Your looking at a 2 hour drive for a money pit. Those can be found locally I'm sure
It can't be anymore of a money pit than my boat! haha.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds to me like some simple issues, that could have happened some time ago and the computer just kept them in the memory or still some simple issues that could be fixed for maybe a couple hundred dollars, but if the truck runs and drives fine, then I don't see why you shouldn't trade. It may not be "perfect" but nothing ever is. I would imagine that the old Infiniti is bound to have problems coming up as well just due to age so either way your going to spend some money for maintenance, might as well spend that money on a vehicle you want.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:29 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Boats are a money pit for sure! I would think a new pedal assembly may cure the issues with the codes. 217K of go pedal may have worn some stuff out.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by xMUDKINGx
Sounds to me like some simple issues, that could have happened some time ago and the computer just kept them in the memory or still some simple issues that could be fixed for maybe a couple hundred dollars, but if the truck runs and drives fine, then I don't see why you shouldn't trade. It may not be "perfect" but nothing ever is. I would imagine that the old Infiniti is bound to have problems coming up as well just due to age so either way your going to spend some money for maintenance, might as well spend that money on a vehicle you want.
The guy did say that it runs and drives fine. No knocks, ticks or diesel sounds. 4x4 works flawlessly and transmission is fine. No slipping or late shifting. My thing is the "knock" code. Detonation is the absolute last thing I want to have to deal with. I've dealt with it before in a 300zx, and I prefer not to deal with it again, but you do bring up a good point. Those could be old codes. Many things contribute to detonation, over-advanced timing being one of them. It is logical, I assume from my point of view, that when the phasers went on the last motor, it could've contributed to detonation, ultimately ruining the last engine and therefore causing the guy to replace the motor, which is why he replaced the motor. But why would the ford dealer not clear the codes after the engine replacement? Also, would the PCM not have been cleared anyway if the battery was removed for an extended period of time? The Knock code is my biggest worry. It could be the knock sensor which isn't a big deal at all, but could it also be actual detonation? The reason I question this is because he says the truck isn't very powerful. Now his "powerful" and my "powerful" could be 2 different things. So I'm not sure what constitutes "power" to him, but the truck could be in limp mode because of knock. But if he says it runs and drives perfect, it couldn't be in limp mode because limp mode is clearly noticeable. I also couldn't find any trouble code associated with the 5.4 Triton containing the word knock.

Originally Posted by Summers22
Boats are a money pit for sure! I would think a new pedal assembly may cure the issues with the codes. 217K of go pedal may have worn some stuff out.
Would it need a new pedal assembly or could the sensor just be replaced? I noticed the sensor could be purchased separately from the pedal assembly. I also noticed from the codes list I saw online that there are 3 sensors. Does each pedal have a sensor? Or are all 3 sensors on the accelerator pedal?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:09 PM
TOTM November 2019

Most likely a sensor then. I have no knowledge of replacing anything pedal related on this gen truck.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
Most likely a sensor then. I have no knowledge of replacing anything pedal related on this gen truck.
Ok. I appreciate it. The guy did say that pedal code is also the cause of the "performance" code. Any idea what he's talking about?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:26 PM
TOTM November 2019

He is just probably relating to poor performance with the gas pedal. Not sure though. At least he seems to be upfront with you.