Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

?? about chrome

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? about chrome

I am REALLY close to buying a truck from a private seller about an hour away. I went and drove the truck on Friday and I REALLY like it. There is one thing I don't like about it though; it has a black bullbar up front and chrome running boards. Is there a way to paint the chrome running boards black to match the bull bar? or am I stuck with non-matching pieces?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ste6168
I am REALLY close to buying a truck from a private seller about an hour away. I went and drove the truck on Friday and I REALLY like it. There is one thing I don't like about it though; it has a black bullbar up front and chrome running boards. Is there a way to paint the chrome running boards black to match the bull bar? or am I stuck with non-matching pieces?
I would not let this prevent you from buying the truck if you like it. Just buy the black side steps.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 06CREW
I would not let this prevent you from buying the truck if you like it. Just buy the black side steps.
Oh no, not at all. The thought never even crossed my mind. I just havent called the guy yet and told him I want it for sure (will later today). Becuase of some things with insurance, I will not be able to drive the truck much for about 3 weeks after I buy it. I was just wondering if there was a way to paint the chrome to match, after all it will just be sitting!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

You probably can or just remove them, sell them on ebay or craigslist and then get the black ones you really want.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 PM

A friend of mine used similar stuff that is used for the spray on bedliner. He used a paint roller and when it dried it looked like the stuff on the bedliner. That might work.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just did mine this weekend i will post pics later they came out awesome but i think once you do it you will miss the chrome lol!! i thought i didnt like the chrome steps but i think i liked'em better
Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

No, you cannot paint chrome successfully. You can have the chrome etched to allow the paint to stick, but in most cases, it chips and flakes off.

If you buy the truck and want black steps, remove these, post them on the classifieds here, and buy black ones.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
No, you cannot paint chrome successfully. You can have the chrome etched to allow the paint to stick, but in most cases, it chips and flakes off.

If you buy the truck and want black steps, remove these, post them on the classifieds here, and buy black ones.
if you take your time and do a good thurough prep you would be suprised how good and long lasting painted chrome can be!! on my last truck i painted alot of the chrome black with no problems you just need to put the time in and use the right products. i scuffed my sidesteps up real good and used a good self etching primer then a primer sealer 2 coats of gloss black and 2 or 3 coats of clear and i think they should hold up fine but yes for the time it takes to get a good outcome you would be better off just buying the black lol i put about 3 or 4 hrs into just painting sidesteps!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I agree with completely; chrome can be painted (and at a lesser cost of a set of replacements if you can do the work yourself. However, I find that most take the shortcuts, and end up with junk. If you took it to a professional, it would most likely cost more than a set of new black steps.

In this case, side steps take a lot of use and abuse, and would need to be done "right"; if you don't have the talent and resorces to do it right, sell the chrome, and buy what you really want.

I envy the folks that have the talent for paint. My work is in mechanical fixes; I'm good with a wrench, a soldering iron (electrical), and engine customizing. When it comes to body work and paint, it cannot go beyond the rattle can! Anything else I leave to the talent of the paint professionals.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-11-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM

exactly man im not saying im a pro painter but just learned from doing lol i whent spray paint crazy on my last truck painting chrome black and just kinda played around and eventually i found what worked best and what was no good plus my uncle does body work and painting so i got afew tips from him if he didnt live in new hampshire i would keep him buissy on my 89 giving her a paint job lol!!

Quick Reply: ?? about chrome