Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

About to buy.. Need some advice..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy.. Need some advice..

Hey everyone,
I am new to pick-ups but have been doing a lot of reading on the diff. options out there. I went and test-drove a 2005 supercab FX4 and a 2004 supercrew Lariat. After driving, I decided this is the truck I want. I have been reading a few reviews and it seems like the few cons/problems are as follows:

A knocking or clicking sound in the engine.

Transmission issues.

Sluggish acceleration (I noticed this a little but just accepted that its a truck).

I work in construction in the city and need a pick-up from time to time. Does anyone feel that these are legitimate cons/problems? And overall, if you could do it again, would you pick an F-150 or go with another truck.. I really appreciate any advice!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:29 PM

I've only had mine for about 1 month 1/2 now and LOVE IT. Its a 06 Lariat Super Crew. I've had over 15 cars, but never a truck so its my first experience with one. So far its great. I purchased the extended Ford Premium Care which covers all. They have options for 1yr to 4 yrs, i went with the 3 year. Its a nice piece of mind to have in my opinion.

I know this is not much help LOL

Good luck with your decision

Project-
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

ive never heard of tranny problems, the ticking is the cam phaser that will be fine, sometimes different oil makes it go away, the biggest problem is the spark plugs get the dealer your buyin from to change them to the new one piece design by ford and you should be good to go!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

overall good trucks, but like all trucks, some will have issues of some sort
-5.4 have the spark plug issue
-4x4 issues, usually minor, but if there is a fault in the system, you will be in 4x4, so your not stranded
-window regulators are hit and miss problems

the tranny issue you speak of, if it is a clunk could be the rearend or driveshaft, the tranny behind the 5.4 is good, the 4.6's trans is a boat anchor if you work it hard
Old 08-23-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ATOM
overall good trucks, but like all trucks, some will have issues of some sort
-5.4 have the spark plug issue
-4x4 issues, usually minor, but if there is a fault in the system, you will be in 4x4, so your not stranded
-window regulators are hit and miss problems

the tranny issue you speak of, if it is a clunk could be the rearend or driveshaft, the tranny behind the 5.4 is good, the 4.6's trans is a boat anchor if you work it hard
I had to have the driver window regulator replaced, now that you mentioned it. So make sure you roll up and down all the windows and listen for squeaks, knocks, etc. if there is noise they might need replacing
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Thanks for everyones response.. So is it safe to say that these are relatively small issues that could be resolved for $500 or less?.. I just dont want a truck that is gonna always be in the shop..
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 PM

the plug issue all depends, i have heard guying spending 2500 bucks because of plugs, needed to put a whole new head on, one guy had a thread around 1300 bucks. most cases are under 500 bucks. the 4x4 issue ain't to spendy either, if you fix it yourself, take it in, few hundred easy depending on what needs replacing.

you will never know if you are going to have problems until after buy it, some trucks are junk, some aren't, luck of the draw.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have over 92k on my 05' Fx4 and love it. Would buy again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Ford DC:
Hope Monday finds you well. Anyway, I read your post; I've been driving Ford Trucks ever since I could drive. I've had plenty of exposure to Nissan, Toyota, and Chevy - but I still find Ford to be the elite.

I don't know much about the knocking (its hard to diagnose over the internet though - ha). But in any case, Ford is your best bet. Too many of the other truck makers are too concerned with speed and power. While these are important with trucks, that's not all you should be concerned with.

Ford designs their trucks for durability and longevity; and, they give plenty of power to do what you need to do. Both of the trucks your talking about will pull at least 7500lbs with ease. Albeit, you may not be able to beat the 16 yr old off the line in the Dodge next to you. But, who wants to do that in a truck anyway? You've got bigger control arms and a stronger fully boxed frame to control you're load.

One thing I would suggest -with any truck that you get is look into- is purchasing a cold air intake (Banks and K&N make the best for Ford) and look into a cat-back exhaust system (Mangaflow, Banks, or Flowmaster). Helping the truck breathe more efficiently makes a world of difference in horsepower and mpg efficiency.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by bstephens00
Helping the truck breathe more efficiently makes a world of difference in horsepower and mpg efficiency.
for the money you pay and the mpg/hp you receive it's not worth it, truck makers wised up long ago and could free up hp from some simple mods. a tuner is your best bet these days to gain some more hp

you can pull 7500#, but you if you do, your truck won't last, that is 3/4 territory. Ford's trucks are far from perfect, they are decent, but far far from perfect.

Last edited by ATOM; 08-24-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: About to buy.. Need some advice..