Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

About to buy an '07 Lariat - Need opinion/advice

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: OHIO
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb About to buy an '07 Lariat - Need opinion/advice

Hey Everyone, just joined, but I am about to jump on a '07 lariat screw. It's got 73k miles and getting it for $19.7k. Through initial test drive I noticed there was an exhaust leak, stiff steering and a noise coming from the front passenger wheel well (sounded like brakes). Through more talking with dealer, I got them to replace the passenger side manifold, fix the steering, but they said brakes were good. The brakes do work, there is just a noise coming from them I am not sure about...

My question is, with everything I already got fixed, and the price point it is at, would you still go through with it and buy the truck and figure out what's making the ticking noise myself?

Thanks in advance! Here is a picture of the truck.


Click the image to open in full size.

Edit to include link for more details on truck.
http://www.northgatefordcincinnati.c...5d31427ab2.htm

Last edited by Baron00; 04-16-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Baron00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Manifold is nice they fixed that, what kind of brake noise? Is it screeching or grinding. Might just need new pads-cheap and easy dyi. If you search this forum the big things are make sure the plugs are done, yours probably aren't due to low miles. The plugs were changed to a better style in 07-08 but people still have issues. Otherwise cam phasers, FPDM are other things to look for. Nice looking and low miles. Price changes everywhere so I would just compare, guys on here always say you pay to much but it really matters by comparables.
WIF-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: OHIO
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIF-150 View Post
Manifold is nice they fixed that, what kind of brake noise? Is it screeching or grinding. Might just need new pads-cheap and easy dyi. If you search this forum the big things are make sure the plugs are done, yours probably aren't due to low miles. The plugs were changed to a better style in 07-08 but people still have issues. Otherwise cam phasers, FPDM are other things to look for. Nice looking and low miles. Price changes everywhere so I would just compare, guys on here always say you pay to much but it really matters by comparables.
Doesn't sound like a grinding, more of a clicking when at a coast or de-acceleration. Will completely stop when brakes are fully pressed. Almost sounds like something is in the way or something. Myabe a bad resurfacing job on the rotors, they did redo the brakes (pads, and machined rotors) at the dealer and threw some new tires on as well.
Baron00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Member
 
Sailor_USN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Wow, they must have gotten that truck for next to nothing if they are willing to change all that plus give you brand new tires. I've never dealt with a dealer that complacent and dedicated haha

The brakes might not require that much $$ to fix it, but for $20K I am sure you could find a '09+ F150 that will not have those issues and it'd be newer.
Sailor_USN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: OHIO
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_USN View Post
Wow, they must have gotten that truck for next to nothing if they are willing to change all that plus give you brand new tires. I've never dealt with a dealer that complacent and dedicated haha

The brakes might not require that much $$ to fix it, but for $20K I am sure you could find a '09+ F150 that will not have those issues and it'd be newer.
This is true, but to get everything I want in a truck that a lariat has, that won't be happening for this price in an 09+. There is actually a 09 lariat on the lot at the same place and they are asking $26k.
Baron00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
jshillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

That is pretty much full retail on that truck... If that is what you want, get it. Have you shopped around? $20k is more than I'd be willing to spend on that truck, but that's just me.
jshillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: OHIO
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I have looked around. The average price on Autotrader for a '07 Lariat was $23,670 and that was across the whole country. I feel like a lot of people say prices are a lot cheaper than what they are on here (been browsing for awhile on here now, just joined) but not the case. Maybe I am missing something or looking in the wrong places...
Baron00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
wolfy53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

about 2 years ago I got an XLT supercrew for just over 11 Grand. 2wd though.
http://www.f150forum.com/f4/ford-f-1...-again-213517/

I have now added leather and other items so all in I am still under 14 grand, and that is with all items including maint items as well.

Example. King Ranch http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...391516236&mmt=[FORD[F150PICKUP[]][]]&doorCodes=4&modelCode1=F150PICKUP&sortBy=derivedp riceASC&showcaseOwnerId=68345&makeCode1=FORD&start Year=2006&numRecords=100&searchRadius=25&listingId =374741154&Log=0
__________________
2006 F-150 Super Crew 5.4L XLT 2WD 102K miles
Edge CTS, Window Tint. In Dash Pioneer DVD, Upgraded Speakers

Sold: Family Owned Since New, 1991 Ford Custom Ext Cab 5 Speed I6 300. Awesome Truck. 103K miles
wolfy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: OHIO
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy53 View Post
about 2 years ago I got an XLT supercrew for just over 11 Grand. 2wd though.
http://www.f150forum.com/f4/ford-f-1...-again-213517/

I have now added leather and other items so all in I am still under 14 grand, and that is with all items including maint items as well.

Example. King Ranch http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...391516236&mmt=[FORD[F150PICKUP[]][]]&doorCodes=4&modelCode1=F150PICKUP&sortBy=derivedp riceASC&showcaseOwnerId=68345&makeCode1=FORD&start Year=2006&numRecords=100&searchRadius=25&listingId =374741154&Log=0
That link isn't working. I am not saying anyone is wrong with prices, but I personally haven't seen it when i looked. If I buy this would be it highway robbery? lol.
Baron00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Like I said everyone always says you pay to much, don't worry about some great deal somebody else says they got. If you looked around and its in the ballpark then it is what is . It does seem a tad high, is $19.7k already agreed upon or can you offer them less? Also can you get maintenance history on the truck? Something could def. be stuck between the pad and rotor, no biggie. Either way a 07 with that low of miles in that shape is hard to find IMO.
WIF-150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.