Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

The $80 key

Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Rattlesnake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The $80 key

I had a back-up key cut at Home Depot this weekend and it opened the doors, the tailgate and turned in the igntion, but would not start the truck.

I contacted my local stealer and was told that a key would cost $30 and then another $50 to program it to work on my truck.

Does anyone know an alternative solution? It really bothers me to pay $80 for a key.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:08 AM

I've been quoted $100.........
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Cost me a Hun, seen on ebay that you can get a third key very cheap... But you need to have the two others at the time. Don't know the details though
Old 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy some key blanks off ebay (around $11.00 plus shipping) then go to your local locksmith and have them cut. They charged me 2.00 per key when I did this. Later I ended up getting a Fusion key off ebay and had the dealer cut it for me. They didn't charge me anything to cut it. Or you can check with Dominic at www.Tascafordparts.com and see how much he can sell you keys for. He may even be able to cut them for you from your vin #

If you have two keys you can program them yourself for free, I did. It tells you in your owner's manual how to program extra keys. If you only have one key you'll need to pay to have at least one more programmed, then you can program any extra keys yourself. Either the dealer or your local locksmith should be able to do it.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:06 PM

dont alot of the keys now days have a chip in the key that has to be programed for that car.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joshuae2
dont alot of the keys now days have a chip in the key that has to be programed for that car.
Yes, your owner's manual tell you how to program them yourself as long as you already have two keys. It's as easy as tying your shoes

Basically you insert the first key that's already programmed into the ignition and turn it to on but do not start. 3-5 seconds later you turn the ignition back off and quickly insert the second already programmed key, turning it to on for another 3-5 seconds. Then take it out and insert the new unprogrammed key turning it to on and wait another 3-5 seconds and it's programmed. What I learned about the waiting 3-5 second rule is, as soon as the abs light on the dash goes out that's when you need to switch keys.
You can program up tp 8 keys and 6 FOBs for your truck.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Rattlesnake

Whitecrystal1

Thanks very much for your post. This is one of the reasons that I joined this board. You just saved me at least $50.00.

I understand that the stealers are in business to make money, but charging $50+ dollars to do a job that takes less than a minute is ridiculous.

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Striper Swiper

Originally Posted by SJennings
Whitecrystal1

Thanks very much for your post. This is one of the reasons that I joined this board. You just saved me at least $50.00.

I understand that the stealers are in business to make money, but charging $50+ dollars to do a job that takes less than a minute is ridiculous.

Thanks again.
ditto........
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM

I just FRIED my truck's Processor (which is a $800 device). I was EXTREMELY HAPPY to hear that my truck had a 8 year warranty... anyways, they had to make me a new key and program my others because of the computer chip that's in there. There's not really a quick and cheap way to get around this.... one reason... you have to buy the little chip that's in the key, and you have to pay to get it cut out...so $30 really isn't bad at all in my opinion.. that is, unless you have 2 keys already. then you just put each of the keys (first the ones that are already programmed to work) in your ignition for 4 seconds, then finally the unprogrammed one for 4 seconds and you're off. I had to do that today with my 3rd key
Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 AM

luckily the dealership i got my truck at likes me, due to buying 3 vehicles there this past year, so they had me buy the key and they programmed it for me...which like whitecrystal said is in the manual and it isnt hard just gotta get used to it and do it with in so many seconds is all.. and i dont like to move fast.... unless i am driving...lol Ö¿Ö

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The $80 key