Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

60k miles and time for a radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Default 60k miles and time for a radiator?

I'm sick of putting parts into this truck at this low of mileage. I come out to a puddle of coolant under the front of my truck this morning. My radiator is leaking, F'n great.
But the thing that really pisses me off, is needing a special tool to get the trans cooler lines out of the damn thing. A job that should take 45min at the most, has me stuck waiting for a special order tool to show up. If they wanted quick disconnects on those lines, then why not just make it so you can use a normal line set?
Just more fuel for my Chevy driving friends to give me **** about.
Enough of rant.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Mileage is irrelevent, its time that matters. My car had 70k in just over three years. But, needed a new radiator after about 7 years, along with new hoses and coolant flush.

Crap builds up over time, if it doesnt get flushed, it will kill the rad, along with electrolysis issues.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
Mileage is irrelevent, its time that matters. My car had 70k in just over three years. But, needed a new radiator after about 7 years, along with new hoses and coolant flush. Crap builds up over time, if it doesnt get flushed, it will kill the rad, along with electrolysis issues.
This is true. Age deteriorates parts worse than mileage.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 PM

I hear ya, and that makes sense. They sure don't make them like they used to.
But there still is no reason for the "special tool." If there is a need for this tool, then why can't it be sold at one of the 4 parts stores that i went to? Why doesn't the dealership carry this magical piece of plastic?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by powerranger262
I hear ya, and that makes sense. They sure don't make them like they used to.
But there still is no reason for the "special tool." If there is a need for this tool, then why can't it be sold at one of the 4 parts stores that i went to? Why doesn't the dealership carry this magical piece of plastic?
OTC Rotunda tools are rarely carried widespread by dealers. Spec tools like that are typically the forst thing i attempt to find.

As for making them like they used to.....polymers tske the place of copper because it is stupid expensive. Also, your charging system uses the engine as a ground, which means that electrical load travels through the engine and the minerals present in coolant, along with the aluminum in the radiator can cause a breakdown where dissimiliar metals meet. It happens, its chemisty. Remember, the old days had much closer service intervals.... 3,000 miles for oil changes, 12,000 miles for coolant. But, petrochemicals are more expensive, which means service intervals are longer to appease the consumer.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 PM

I guess I'm just getting a little fed up with the amount of repairs that i have done to this thing before 100k miles. Has been far from the most reliable truck i have ever owned, yet it is the newest.
Stock rotors and pads came off a week after i bought it with 20k on the clock. Total garbage. Transmission went at 40k. Had pretty much everything that could be replaced with the lovely 4wd system done while it was in for the trans under warranty. Just did my idler pullies and alternator bearings due to cheap China parts. Shift cable melted on the exhaust and broke. And now the radiator. What happened to "built Ford tough?"
I baby this truck, and never skimp on maintenance or parts. I have this truck exactly like i want it, and plan on driving it into the ground.....just thought i would make it past at least 150k miles.

Quick Reply: 60k miles and time for a radiator?