Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

6" Lift that will work... or will it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6" Lift that will work... or will it?

I have a 2WD at stock right now. Nothing done yet. Lets say I had a 6" Pro Comp, Stage 1 lift put on it.
My current (stock) wheels are as follows:
17x7.5
Backspacing: 5.50 inches
Offset: 44mm (1.73 inches)
----------------------------------------------------------
For the lift, I would like to replace those stock rims with the Pacer Ridgeline. Their specs are is as follows:
18x10
Backspacing: 4.52 inches
Offset: -25mm
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were to actually mount these Ridgelines, the change is as follows:
The Inner clearance would increase to 37mm (1.45 inches) MORE.
(That is - the inside of the wheel to the strut housing)
The Outter clearance would EXTEND an extra 101mm (3.97 inches).
(That is - position of the outside edge of the wheel)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Then I put on 35x12.5x18 Nitto Mud Grapplers.
***** WILL THIS WORK?? *****
Thanks to all who advise!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM

No takers on this one huh?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Im pretty sure 35's wont work like that, my friend has that lift on a Fx4 and he barely clears 35's with a little bit of rubbing. It might work if you dont stick the tires out so far. You are going 2.5 inches wider on the rim plus another inch with backspacing, thats 3.5 inches youre tires will be sticking out from where they are now. You will have problems turning, similar to a thread a guys tarted a few days ago titled something like "My new set up isnt working" he could barely turn his tires. Remember that 4wd's come 2 inches higher than 2wd so a leveling kit on a 4wd is almost the same as a 6in lift on a 2wd.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane
I have a 2WD at stock right now. Nothing done yet. Lets say I had a 6" Pro Comp, Stage 1 lift put on it.
My current (stock) wheels are as follows:
17x7.5
Backspacing: 5.50 inches
Offset: 44mm (1.73 inches)
----------------------------------------------------------
For the lift, I would like to replace those stock rims with the Pacer Ridgeline. Their specs are is as follows:
18x10
Backspacing: 4.52 inches
Offset: -25mm
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If I were to actually mount these Ridgelines, the change is as follows:
The Inner clearance would increase to 37mm (1.45 inches) MORE.
(That is - the inside of the wheel to the strut housing)
The Outter clearance would EXTEND an extra 101mm (3.97 inches).
(That is - position of the outside edge of the wheel)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Then I put on 35x12.5x18 Nitto Mud Grapplers.
***** WILL THIS WORK?? *****
Thanks to all who advise!
Sounds right. The added offset you are gaining is whats going to be the controlling factor. The 6" lift will allow for the height of the 35" tire. The width, again, is dependent on the offset, which I believe is good with the rim you picked out. Please someone verify this as I could be wrong (its happened before).
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD
... Remember that 4wd's come 2 inches higher than 2wd so a leveling kit on a 4wd is almost the same as a 6in lift on a 2wd.
I see this more often then not. Someone please explain to me why we compare the height of a 4wd to a 2wd? If we are adding 6 inches to our suspension (2wd) isn't it still 6 to us? What makes the 2wd sit 2" lower then the 4wd in the first place? I put a Rancho 3" kit + AAL and had 35's on my truck no problem. No rubbing. I started to rub when I added the 1.5" wheel spacers, so then I went to a body lift (i liked the bull dog look of the truck hence adding the spacers). Just some clarification on what it is that makes it 2" difference. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VanoFord
I see this more often then not. Someone please explain to me why we compare the height of a 4wd to a 2wd? If we are adding 6 inches to our suspension (2wd) isn't it still 6 to us? What makes the 2wd sit 2" lower then the 4wd in the first place? I put a Rancho 3" kit + AAL and had 35's on my truck no problem. No rubbing. I started to rub when I added the 1.5" wheel spacers, so then I went to a body lift (i liked the bull dog look of the truck hence adding the spacers). Just some clarification on what it is that makes it 2" difference. Thanks!
4wd is higher for clearance.. Yes if you do 6" lift on a 2wd it will be 6" lift on that truck.. but on a 4wd adding a 6" lift will put it a bit taller because of it already being higher for clearance. It's just how it is.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by AZFX4
4wd is higher for clearance.. Yes if you do 6" lift on a 2wd it will be 6" lift on that truck.. but on a 4wd adding a 6" lift will put it a bit taller because of it already being higher for clearance. It's just how it is.
Ok, thats what I thought. 6 to me is 6 to me, so who cares if it only is "whatever" on a 4wd. THANKS! As for higher clearance, what is making it 2" more? longer spindles? different strut heights? Anyone know what is causing the difference, rather than why there is a difference (thanks for answering why AZFX4 ).
Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by VanoFord
Ok, thats what I thought. 6 to me is 6 to me, so who cares if it only is "whatever" on a 4wd. THANKS! As for higher clearance, what is making it 2" more? longer spindles? different strut heights? Anyone know what is causing the difference, rather than why there is a difference (thanks for answering why AZFX4 ).
Yes it is a 6in lift, you get 6in of lift but a 6in lift on a 2wd may not clear the same tires as a 6in lift on a 4wd since they come higher in the first place, Im not sure whats so hard to understand about that. When an fx4 rubs with 35's and it comes 2in higher, Id bet that a 2wd will have problems clearing 35's especially if the op goes that wide. Im still not sure why people would lift 2wd anyways, Id put that money into actually making my truck more capable as in a real 4wd as opposed to looking like its capable of real work IMO
Old 01-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Great discussion guys. And good questions and points vanoford.
I suppose it really doesn't matter if I want to lift a 2WD or not... its just the fact that it is my choice to do so. I'd like to have a 4WD... but I ending up with a 2WD. So for now, based on my own preferences, that's what I have to work with. Its about "My Ride" and what I like..., not about weather I can go through that mud hole or not. For now, just as my post has requested input on, I'm just looking for into that will tell me what it is that I need to make the specs I listed in the beginning of the post WORK on my 2WD.
If it is proven to rub with these specs, than I could go ahead and do the Pro Comp Stage 2, crank the front up 2 more inches, and then add whatever block necessary in the rear to level it out.
So what do ya'll think?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree putting a lift on a 2WD is like lifting a FOCUS lol. It just makse no sense. I will never by a truck without 4WD because without it its not really a truck just a car on steroids. But yes back to the topic I think you should be fine with the lift and tires. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: 6" Lift that will work... or will it?