Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4L V3 Ticking Sound Transition

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4L V3 Ticking Sound Transition

I have spent a good amount of time to research my situation but I cannot seem to find one that would match. It might be the same symptoms or causes and solutions that you have had but I would like to make sure I will be looking at the most potential one since working on these trucks to find the root cause sometimes is a pain.

My truck is 2004 Ford F150 5.4L 4WD V8 with 138,000 miles on it

About 3 of months ago, I started to experience the dreaded ticking sound immediately when I start the truck in the morning. Using a stethoscope, the ticking sound is coming more on the top of the passenger side valve cover close to the passenger Phaser. I monitored this for about 2 weeks and then decided to take action… So what I did was the following…
1. 1. clean the engine with CRC Motor Flush prior to engine oil change.
2. 2. change the oil from 5W-20 to 5w-30 high Mileage (Royal Purple HMX)
3. 3. change the oil again after 2,000 miles with 5w-30 high Mileage (Royal Purple HMX) to clean CRC Motor Flush residue.
4. 4. Change the VCT Solenoid both sides with Motorcraft OEM
5. 5. Reset the PCM (overnight battery disconnect) and ran the truck for 3,000 miles.
The problem seemed to be fixed since I did not have the tick for the first 3,000 miles at cold start.

But a new ticking sound came out and but this time only when the engine just reached normal operating temperature but not too hot enough (say driving after 2 miles) and when the gear is in load. When the truck is in Park and idling, there is no ticking sound. When the truck is either in Reverse and in Drive and brake is engaged (truck not moving), there is the ticking sound. And the tick this time seems to be coming from the back of the engine and more pronounced under the wheel well. It is not coming from the top of the valve cover anymore. The ticking goes away when the engine becomes really hot (after 15 to 20 miles of driving). So there is no ticking sound during both at cold start and when the engine is too hot.
I had two shops diagnosed this and one says trough visual inspection that there might be a potential exhaust manifold leak. Another the next day confirmed there is no exhaust manifold leak when it was inspected while the engine is running and not ticking.

Please let me know what you think and possible resolution to this issue.
Thank you.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I still vote for an exhaust manifold leak, they tend to close when the engine gets hot though. Can you post a video of the tick sound?
How did the shop verify there is no exhaust manifold leak, did they do a smoke test or just visually look?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

X2 on exhaust manifold. It will get worse down the road. My previous '05 had that and eventually it became quite loud, until she got nice and warm, then it was as quiet as a mouse...
Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
I still vote for an exhaust manifold leak, they tend to close when the engine gets hot though. Can you post a video of the tick sound? How did the shop verify there is no exhaust manifold leak, did they do a smoke test or just visually look?
A crack in a manifold can be just a hairline thick, why it seals up when the engine gets hot, there is really no way you can tell by just looking. I agree, have them do a smoke test if they haven't already.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the recorded video and sound of the tick. This is at the passenger side wheel well.

Both shops verified by just looking and listening. They did not do any smoke test.

How is smoke test done? Is this a smoke machine inserted in the sealed exhaust tip so the smoke creep back to the exhaust pipes, then to the cats, through the exhaust manifold?

BTW, I live in Phoenix, Arizona and usually temps here at this time goes up to 112 degrees if weather has to do with it ��
Attached Files

Last edited by Sicario0425; 07-23-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Sounds just like my passenger side exhaust manifold leak when cold..

Quick Reply: 5.4L V3 Ticking Sound Transition