Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4L Spark Plug Issue - Probably been alot of topics on this...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 5.4L Spark Plug Issue - Probably been alot of topics on this...

OK, this is my first post and if I end up buying an F150 it will hopefully be the first of many (though not about problems I hope).

I'm looking at getting an 04-08 F150. I've looked at Chev/GM and Dodge and they really don't interest me nearly as much as the Fords. Better looks, interior and exterior, better features, etc. My mechanic has advised me against going with the 5.4L engine because of the famous spark plug issue where it gets stuck in the head and sometimes the cab has to be lifted to get at the heads. I've done research on this already and found that it isn't an extremely common problem but according to a local dealer the repair costs for worst case scenario is around $3500, which I simply cannot afford "just like that". They also told me there is no warranty or recourse at all with this problem, it would all be on me. This is really going to affect my decision on which truck to buy, and I'm really confused because I basically had my heart set on a Ford. So here are my questions:

How common is the problem?

Is it true there is no recourse and I will have to pay for the full repair?

I've been told the problem is easy to work around by changing the plugs often, and applying threadlocker to the plugs. I know there is a special tool I can buy from Snap-On and I'm willing to buy it. Is this true?

Anything else you can tell me about this?

I've also been told the 07s and up have a re-designed head and do not have the problem. Is this true and is it worth spending extra now rather than down the road?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM

I am in the same boat and would love to see some real answers to these questions. Thanks for the post!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're going to buy used then have the dealership change the plugs as a condition for actually purchasing the truck. Go out and purchase a set on one piece plugs and have the dealership replace the removed plugs with the ones you purchase. Make sure they put some anit-seize stuff on the new plugs.

There is actually a TSB out on how to remove the plugs if they break off in the heads, there's also a special tool that removes the broken piece. It is not an automatic gotta remove the heads job.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
If you're going to buy used then have the dealership change the plugs as a condition for actually purchasing the truck. Go out and purchase a set on one piece plugs and have the dealership replace the removed plugs with the ones you purchase. Make sure they put some anit-seize stuff on the new plugs.

There is actually a TSB out on how to remove the plugs if they break off in the heads, there's also a special tool that removes the broken piece. It is not an automatic gotta remove the heads job.
Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what a TSB is, I assume T Service Bulletin??? What kind of anti-seize should I use? Thanks,

Ryan
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Delgaty
Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what a TSB is, I assume T Service Bulletin??? What kind of anti-seize should I use? Thanks,

Ryan
Technical Service Bulletin. The service tech will have the anti-seize, so you'll not have to worry about that. If you did the work yourself, you'll see it in a tube at any auto parts store. There's only one type of anti-seize; it's not like buying loc tight that has many different bonding strengths.

As the other poster stated, make the dealership replace the plugs before you purchase. Get it done before you take delivery of it, or get it in writing that they will do it if you take delivery of it before the work is done.

Problem is, Ford does not recommend a spark plug change until 100,000 miles (I believe), so they may refuse to do it for you. I'd walk away if that is the case. However, because of this two piece design, the TSB may have overwritten that.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
wanta 2 be hotrodder

Default spark plug issue

I also was told these stories. i have done a lot of research and if you follow the service bulliten when it is time to change the plugs or call the ford dealer in advance i think you will find the issue has been for the most part resolved. if the plugs were changed before 100k then you will probably have no problems. I got every one of mine out with no problem. First I used seafoam for a month (4) times before it was done. Then follow the tech bulletin and you will be alright. If you do break one they are fairly easy to remove with the new tools they have. Best bet if you are not mechanical is go to the ford dealer and make sure you a good tech do it. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM

Default 5.4 Plugs

Just had mine done......3 plugs broke.....They where able to remove with tool......I replaced with the 1 piece Champion.....Make sure they are tourque to specs...If not tight you will get a fuel smell in the cab at idle ....stop light....
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

For anyone that's doing a search on the 5.4 spark plug issue, head over to the dedicated sticky at the top of the 2004 to 2008 forum. It has pages of great information on this topic.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM
wanta 2 be hotrodder

The champion plugs are the ones i replaced my motorcraft with and I began to get the multiple cylinder miss fire. If you start to get bucking you will probably find the plugs don't work well with this engine. Motorcraft has since redesigned thier plugs to be one peice. I only had about 15k on the plugs and they were not worn, just not any good. I was told before I put them in that champion made a good lawn mower plug. NOw I am going to see if I can get my money back. I spoke with several A level mechanics (after the fact) they all seperately came up with the idae that the plugs were the problem. I don't like going to the dealer,however the ford shops do have the proper diaginostic computers for these vehicles. I thru 1000.00 in parts at this probelm before i wnet to the dealer. I call in advance and negotiated with the service manager and they cut the diag fee in half and charged me 247 for the plug replacement. So negotiate. Everything is negotiable. I hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 PM

I know there is a post on this but I can't find the date or cut off year etc. I have a 07 XLT can someone please help with a link or something to find out if my truck has this issue??

Quick Reply: 5.4L Spark Plug Issue - Probably been alot of topics on this...