Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4L not wanting to giver...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:13 AM
The New Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4L not wanting to giver...

Good morning everyone,

This is my first post on these forums, but I did my research, and there doesn't seem to be any place better.

I finally went out on a limb and decided to buy my second vehicle, and since I have always loved the Ford's, I got my hands on a 2006 F150 XL 5.4L Triton EX Cab. It is older and has some noticeable issues, but in my mind it seems in great shape. A real hands on fixer-upper.

The reason I decided to drop my first post was the first main issue I am seeing. I know of a few small issues which are scheduled during my certification. But this one has me worried.

Symptoms:

When I went to test drive I noticed that when I hit the gas, like literally dropped the pedal, it had a very noticeable hesitation. Not like it would move but slowly, i mean I hit the gas and it was like I was talking egyptian. The truck literally hung for about 1 to 1.5 seconds. Then it woke up and actually squawked the tires and took off.

Keep in mind the truck was cold. Hadn't been run for a day or two. I started it, talked for a minute then the test drive was on. I noticed shortly after at the next stop, that if I idled up slowly it seemed ok. It was almost like a sweet spot. If I wanted to giver like my hair was on fire, it had other plans. If I idled up like grandma on a Sunday drive, she was fine.

I have read a lot about it possibly being coils or plugs (misfire) or a dirty mass air flow sensor. But I figured here is the place to get the advice of the best Ford minds.

Any help would be great.

PS:

One of the things I know for sure it needs is a manifold stud. I can hear the whistle, and it was pointed out when I bought it. There is also a small knock that seems to subside after it warms up, this I am hoping is an idler bearing or tension arm bearing. At worst maybe a cam phaser. But I will find this out during cert. Hoping this is not related to that knocking.

Last edited by DRaycraft; 05-09-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Clean the throttle body and MAF.. you don't mention mileage on the motor and when and if the plugs have been changed... check the FPDM also and replace the fuel filter..need to get a base line on scheduled maint.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Like said above plus that hesitation you feel has a lot to do with the drive by wire system that is late to react on quick throttle changes without a tune. Let us know a little more about the truck
Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 PM
The New Guy

Sorry guys. Popping my cherry first post I figured something would get missed.

It has 210,000KM on it. I have no history of maintenance on the vehicle at all. But I suspect from my conversations with the previous owner, very little in the way of routine maintenance has been done. I intend on pulling the dip and checking the oil tonight, but my expectation now is to do an oil change with 5W20 Semi synthetic and some Lucas. Long term will be full synthetic.

Fuel filter is quick and easy and something I never thought of. I can check it tonight as well. The MAF cleaning is on its way, and I suppose the throttle body can be done simultaneously.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Make sure you use cleaner that is safe for throttle bodies. Carb cleaner can ruin the teflon coating.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM
The New Guy

Like CRC 05078? Or for me :

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cr...l#.VzDEY4QrJhE
Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRaycraft
That should work fine.

As people have mentioned, you should also check your FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module). You'll find it mounted to a cross-member near your spare tire. Even if it's not causing your issue, you should still give this a looking at because the incompatible metals usually make these prime candidates for corrosion.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2016, 01:20 PM
The New Guy

Originally Posted by techrep
Clean the throttle body and MAF.. you don't mention mileage on the motor and when and if the plugs have been changed... check the FPDM also and replace the fuel filter..need to get a base line on scheduled maint.
Quick question, when you reference cleaning the throttle body, are you just referring to me removing the air cleaner hose and scrubbing the butterfly in the throttle body nice and clean, or the full the cleaner spray into the throttle body itself? Or I guess both.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:21 PM
The New Guy

Originally Posted by Hootsworth
That should work fine.

As people have mentioned, you should also check your FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module). You'll find it mounted to a cross-member near your spare tire. Even if it's not causing your issue, you should still give this a looking at because the incompatible metals usually make these prime candidates for corrosion.
Thanks Hoot. I actually just watched like 10 videos on this. Seems straight forward enough. I am going to ordering one soon, maybe can do it this weekend.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:41 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Remove the throttle body to clean it. As for the hesitation, after you perform basic maintenance, a tune will make that hesitation go away.

Quick Reply: 5.4L not wanting to giver...