Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4L 3v IMRC woes. Seeking help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 5.4L 3v IMRC woes. Seeking help.

Hello all,

I have a 2005 with a 5.4l 3v with 180k miles. I just got the truck back from having the transmission rebuilt ($1800 venture...).

I went to pull codes on my edge programmer (note: no CEL was on) and saw the code P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed.

So I began doing some research and found articles faulting either the plastic clips, the pushrods being bound, wires frayed, or a bad actuator.

I took my borescope and went in... I have found that all 4 clips are still present and in good health, the pushrods are not bound, and my buddy's prostate is in good shape.

I started the truck and watched the actuator. It never moved. Does anyone know at what RPM it is supposed to open?

Thanks,
Hunter
Old 01-16-2016, 04:21 PM

So I went down the street and asked a neighbor if I could run my camera behind his 5.4l and watched the actuator work.

It appears that the IMRC will move in direct correlation with throttle position.

So, I have ordered an new IMRC actuator.

Next question, is the intake manifold gasket reusable?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Yes it's reusable..
Great diagnosis btw! Sounds like an open and shut case..
Old 01-17-2016, 09:56 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Question Question about your observations

@HunterFL772 would you kindly share a bit of personal knowledge you've acquired about the IMRC valve with me? I have tried exhaustively to figure this mysterious - hard to see and largely confusing IMRC (IMSC) system out. I don't have a problem or codes from mine, but I became obsessively interested in figuring out if it was working properly (or AT ALL) after replacing my Intake Manifold. It's IMPOSSIBLE to even feel it back there and as you know it can only be seen with a bore scope. You're the only other person I'm aware of that has actually observed its operation with a scope.

Specifically: I would like to know if your observation of your friends IMRC operation revealed what mine does.

Mine appears to operate in "TWO POSITIONS", either completely "CLOSED", or wide "OPEN", under certain rpm/load conditions. It is "CLOSED" on startup and remains so at idle and at practically any rpm while stationary and while moving under light load conditions regardless of rpms. Moderate to medium rpm under load with vehicle moving - it 'slams' wide "OPEN".

With my Troque Pro App, I have identified three OBDII PIDs that relate to the IMRC valve operation. From monitoring these PIDs, I developed gauges that I _"THOUGHT"_ was depicting the PCM's positioning of the IMRC valve - in a linear fashion. **BUT**, when I bore scoped it, the valve instead operates "OPEN" / "CLOSED" in absolute unison with the IMRC "ON/OFF" PID. However, the PID identified as the "IMRC Control Monitor - Volts" presents different voltage readings (only when enable is "ON") but under varying engine rpm/load conditions as I would have expected. But bore scope viewing doesn't reflect movement relative to the voltage PID reading. This seems illogical to me relative to my understanding of the devices intent. [ To 'swirl' intake air under low volume, slow moving aspiration to improve fuel injector atomization - and thus more complete combustion].

You mentioned you have an edge scanner. If interested the relevant PIDs (acronyms, hex #'s, Descriptions) are:

IMRC (IMSC) - 1103 b4 - Intake Manifold Runner (Swirl) Control (ON/OFF)
IMRC F (IMSC F) - 162F b6 - Intake Manifold Runner (Swirl) Control Fault (YES/NO)
IMRCM - 1634 - Intake Manifold Runner Control Monitor Input ( VOLTS)

I also find it curious HOW the ECU can determine if the runner on Bank 1 or Bank 2 is stuck closed or open, because there is NO individual bank switches, and the valve has only 4 wires connected to it - and the plastic IM provides no ground. So I cannot figure out _exactly_ how it is actuated and/or how the ECU could determine if one is stuck open or stuck closed ?????.

I would like to have some feedback on the operation you observed on your friends truck.
The following 2 users liked this post by F150Torqued:
55_Cans (03-04-2024), Diverdon55 (02-15-2024)
Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,598 Likes on 6,203 Posts

I had the same code 25K ago, it went away after I ran half a can of seafoam through the brake booster. No lie, I was shocked. Code has never came back. I think it had sludge/carbon etc on it and wasn't allowing it to function properly. For me it was a nice easy $8 fix.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 PM

@F150Torqued,
It is evident that you knowledge of this system far surpasses mine. I will video the IMRC in action and send you the link. That is the best way I can think of to explain to you the data.

However, I after watching it in action and reading a bit, I do believe it is either open or closed. I remember reading somewhere that 0v=closed and 5v=open. I will find out when the new part comes in and I put some current thru it for test purposes.

The best I can figure about how the system works as a whole is that (sorry not trying to insult your intelligence, I am learning as I go):
1. Each cylinder has 2 runners (air) going to it.
2. 1 runner provides a fixed amount of air to the chamber (for consistent idle purposes).
3. The other runner is controlled by the IMRC, and allows additional air flow throughout the powerband.
4. With the IMRC stuck closed (as in my case), the truck still runs because the flow rate from runner #1 speeds up and the mixture will ignite... although not as efficiently.
5. I have notice my truck burns a little oil, possible from the lean air mixture due to the IMRC malfunction.

As for the accuracy of the sensor, mine just comes up "IMRC stuck closed". But as far as the ECU knowing which bank is closed I am not sure. When I pull the manifold off, I will do some investigation.

Please feel free to correct any of my reasoning, I am a simple shade-tree mechanic who's knowledge is derived from the google-box and trail and error, not formal training so you cannot hurt my feelings.
The following users liked this post:
55_Cans (03-04-2024)
Old 01-17-2016, 01:14 PM

Here is a video of my truck, Ill find another 5.4l 3v and video it as soon as the neighbor gets home!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:25 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HunterFL772
... Please feel free to correct any of my reasoning, I am a simple shade-tree mechanic who's knowledge is derived from the google-box and trail and error, not formal training so you cannot hurt my feelings.

Hey man, no offense taken here either - EVER. We're from the same school and I certainly haven't graduated just yet. We'll get along fine.

@Sommers22's suggestion is (at only $8.00) exceptionally worthwhile. You did mention a little oil burning and I suppose that could contaminate the runner butterflies and cause them to be sticky. However - I note that the PCV vacuum is drawn on the bank 2 side of the TB, and your code (P2006) says runner on bank 1 is stuck. ???? (Although I cant understand how the hell the PCM could figure that out - the linkage is solid common to both sides!!!) So the code P2006 wouldn't be conclusive against trying it.

But I did want to re-iterate that it was almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to get my IMRC to do ANYTHING sitting still. I had to duct tape the bore scope in place with display inside passenger window and go for a drive. When the truck was moving - a mild load above certain rpms would cause the IMRC to 'slam' wide "OPEN". I could rev 3 - 4000 or even 4500 sitting still and get nothing. This is why I requested your observations. It's operation seemed totally KOOKY to me. I could never get it to open by loading the engine in drive /or 2nd gear/ with foot on the brake. It was as though the PCM required some mph in conjunction with rpms. (I would like to see you verify this before removing the intake manifold - which is a PITA.) I think I could see in the video your valve "tried" to move. Perhaps your IMRC valve is not DOA, and the runners are just a little carboned up and stuck like the code says. @Sommers22's suggestion could work.

If you have to remove the IM, the Break Booster vacuum line that connects to the bottom rear of the IM was impossible for me to reconnect. I had to install the IM with a new piece of vacuum hose already connected to that nipple and kill the original brake booster line!!!!

ALSO. Your description of the intake runners is more in line with a different version than those employed on our trucks. Here is a picture of a 5.4L triton intake runners and manifold. The single, moveable butterfly in the intake port has a slit (perhaps 15% of its surface area) right behind the injector holes (on bank 2), in front of on bank 1. The actuator shaft runs the full length of the runners and is connected to the IMRC at the rear.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 01-17-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: trying to get the DAMN images to work
Old 01-17-2016, 03:41 PM

Note, it never said bank 1 closed. Just IMRC close.

Where would one start to run seafoam thru it?

Last edited by HunterFL772; 01-17-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,598 Likes on 6,203 Posts

The brake booster hose...just let it slowly suck half a bottle of seafoam from a bowl, have the truck running and dont let it totally die, but it may bog way down. Re-attatch the hose,Then let it run for a minute or so then get in a raise the rpms pretty high for 5 or 6 seconds about 2 or 3 times. Turn the truck off for a minute. Start it back up and go for a highway cruise for 10 minutes. Be warned it may smoke, a whole bunch. Thats carbon being burned off and out of your engine.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3v IMRC woes. Seeking help.