Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.4 woes

Sorry for the long post but trying to bring you up to date.

Copy from another forum

I have an 05 F150. Last week engine started running rough, check light was flashing. Engine lost power and got more erratic. Had it towed to Ford dealer, Dickson TN. Dealer says "#2 injector has suck open and flooded the Cylinder and bent the C-Rod." Ok have put in another 5.4(not at Dealership) hummm new engine runs the same as the one that came out. Had A different Dealer check this engine they tell me the right bank is not making compression cam has jumped time.

some of this goes to me as I did not ask what diagnostics they used, computer, compression check, leak down. Like a fool I took them at their word. Now I see that they(the service manager) may have just been out to make as much money as he could for the steelership(I was told a new engine and install from Ford would be about 8000 dollars), or the service department has no idea what they are doing. The service department did change out the injector, engine ran the same, soooo "Time for a NEW engine".

This is on another 5.4 installed.
Ok update
Have tried new COPs, new injectors, have swapped cam position sensor from left side (firing fine) to right side, still have two cylinders 2 and 4 not firing. Also have pulled valve cover to check cam lobs, and compression checked the engine, 150+ per. At this point I'm thinking something in the wiring (bent pin on a plug, have checked for broken wire, all seem fine.

any more input??

Last edited by thunderhorse; 03-24-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why wouldn't you have the dealership repair the original problem? That should have been covered under the extended warranty on the 05 injector problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kevhead75
Why wouldn't you have the dealership repair the original problem? That should have been covered under the extended warranty on the 05 injector problem.
Not all are covered. Depends on plant made the truck.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM

They said nothing about injectors being covered or ford paying for the repair. hummm have to write them another E-Mial.

Oh wait I just found this
If anyone is having a Stuck/Closed Fuel Injection problem then you are covered by Ford Extended Warranty. I received my letter that states it will cover any open or closed fuel injector for a total of 11 years or 120,000 miles from the warranty start date, whichever occurs first.

I am over 3000 miles past.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Up date and solution NO THANKS TO FORD

Another 53,000 mile engine installed, as per FORD diagnostic. It ran the same as old 123,000 mile engine. Two dealers had the same diagnoses " had jumped time on right side". humm Two engines with the exact same problem, one that ran great right before being pulled? When through all the COPs, plugs, injectors. Still computer says it is not firing on the right (passengers) side. Swapped in an other computer same result. After a week of working with this problem one of the guys suggested that we drop the exhaust, from the cats back, and run it. Well two Cats and 3 O2 sensors later IT LIVES, runs very well.
Conclusion
Did not need another engine @ 3600 dollars, needed new Cats on the right side@ 400 dollars. Oh well live and learn and I have a 53,000 miles engine now. Thank you to the EXPERTS at FORD NOT.

This "Infidel" shoots back
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you find a new dealer to work on your truck.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Wow, stealership FTL! I recently had similar issues, but I was able to get it to throw a P0420. I'm geting the feeling the cats on the 5.4 are crap!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Man these dealerships are fn criminals or crack heads. I had a COP that was going bad and the stealership was ready to take my tranny apart.

Quick Reply: 5.4 woes