Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 Triton - Worth the Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 Triton - Worth the Repairs

Hello,

New to forum. Have spent many hours reading posts on the replacing spark plugs, Cam Phasers, & lifters.

I just purchased this 2004 F150 with the 5.4L with 147K on the motor/truck. It seems to run good; however, sounds like a diesel and only gets 11.5 MPG mixed driving (city/rural). I have yet to look at the spark plugs as I am expecting breakage. I am assuming the poor gas mileages is coming from the cam phasers and spark-plugs.

My question is this:

Is this motor with 147K worth putting the $$$ into parts (I will do all the work myself) in replacing the cam phasers, spark-plugs & possible lifters OR would it be better to just get a rebuilt motor and drop it in?

Are there any other components on the 5.4L that may need to be looked at to ensure another 50-70K out of this motor? Assuming this motor would get 200K or more out of it.

Thanks,
Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 PM
06 f150 larait

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive seen people selling f150's with the 5.4 in them with over 250k. but its all up to you. i would assume that parts are cheaper than a whole engine. and that engine has at least another 100k left to go in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First thing I'd do is change the plugs.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeHome
Hello,

New to forum. Have spent many hours reading posts on the replacing spark plugs, Cam Phasers, & lifters.

I just purchased this 2004 F150 with the 5.4L with 147K on the motor/truck. It seems to run good; however, sounds like a diesel and only gets 11.5 MPG mixed driving (city/rural). I have yet to look at the spark plugs as I am expecting breakage. I am assuming the poor gas mileages is coming from the cam phasers and spark-plugs.

My question is this:

Is this motor with 147K worth putting the $$$ into parts (I will do all the work myself) in replacing the cam phasers, spark-plugs & possible lifters OR would it be better to just get a rebuilt motor and drop it in?

Are there any other components on the 5.4L that may need to be looked at to ensure another 50-70K out of this motor? Assuming this motor would get 200K or more out of it.

Thanks,
I think ultimately that decision is up to you. These motors are hit or miss, some are bullet proof and others are total turds. I had to have mine replaced at 82k because it spun a bearing.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2006 5.4 motor has 147k+ on it and my cousin and I just did the spark plugs yesterday evening, first time they have been done. All came out, no breaks, only took an hour and a half. Some suggestions for you:

- Have the Lisle tool handy just in case. Of course Murphy's Law was in effect for me - bought the tool, didn't need it. Best 60 bones I ever wasted

- Replace the stock plugs with the Champion 7989's so you don't have to worry about the motorcraft two-piece ***** anymore. Don't just run to the nearest auto store, you can find them online for cheap (I think I spent 100 bones for all 8 of them shipped).

- GO SLOW TAKING THEM OUT!! The extra minute per plug is well worth it compared to the headache of trying to get a broken shaft out of the motor. Try turning the plug with the socket wrench 1/8 turn back and forth a few times (it's what we did to loosen the rust corrosion and carbon on them a little before trying to unscrew them completely and it worked well - maybe it helped, maybe not, but worth the extra 8 total minutes).

- Fill your gas tank and put in two cans of 16 oz Seafoam, then drive around until the tank needs to be filled again. I did it before my long trip home from eastern CT to southern NJ for xmas. Again, unsure if it helped or not, but the plugs came out without a problem so I'd recommend it. Others have recommended it as well.

- Use anti-cease on the new plugs to help keep them from getting ceased up in the motor the next time you do a change (pending you have the truck that long).

Good luck!

PS - As for the cam phasers, etc., I have not had any problems thus far with anything like that. My biggest concern was getting the plugs out and it went without issues, so I'd recommend just doing the plugs and keep the motor.

Last edited by nddragon01; 12-27-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 PM

Thank you for all the prompt replies.

I do not think this is a " total turd" motor. I think it is a "Hit" on a good one.
Since this motor has the +200K mile capability, I will take the advice and do the repairs. This is what I was leaning towards but I needed to get a "Sanity-Check" from those with more experience than I.
I will indeed start with the spark-plugs first ... the neighbor, with the same truck, let me borrow his spark-plug tool remover. He just did his at 109K, four broke on him and it took him 8 hours to do all plugs.
Since I am off til after the new year, it will give me the time I may need if by " Murphy's Law" things just do not work out so smooth.
Once this is completed I will then do more research on this forum before the Cam Phasers.

Thanks once again for all the prompt advice.
I expect to spend many more hours here in my future as a first time Ford F150 Truck owner.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM

2004 F150 Supercab Lariat 5.4L (3V) 4X4 which has 148K in it.
VIN. Number for the eighth position is “5”.
The vehicle had a slight miss to it and the vibration at low RPMs at 40-50 MPH.
So I replaced all spark-plus and COP (Coil-On-Plugs)( BWD brand) $480.
This did not fix the problem it actually is much worse. I get no engine light however.
When I put the gas pedal to the floor and take it up to 4000 RPM it seem to run without a miss; however, once I get up in the higher RPMs I start to get a flashing engine light.
The light came on and was blinking like crazy for about 10 seconds and then went away without any codes.

This light would stay flashing until a do this again then the engine light would stop flashing and no longer would stay on.
It seems to run good at idle … no noticeable miss.
I have not pulled the codes.
From what I can tell there are no vacuum leaks.
Would the (FPDM) Fuel Pump Delivery Module cause this symptom?
Can a fuel injector cause this symptom?
Can a dirty throttle body and/or intake cause this symptom?

I have search this forum without any solution found. Typical solution … change plugs & coils OR the solution was never stated at the end of the thread.

So this is why I am starting this thread.

There are a few things I know for sure that it is Not causing the vibration:
1.) It is not the tires being out a balance. They are new Michelin $1200
2.) It is not the drive shaft needing balancing. As I can drive 70MPH without vibration.
3.) The transmission is in excellent condition. I changed the fluid and it was bright red and smelt new. Plus it shifts very smooth.
4.) Motor mounts are good.

The oil pressure on this engine is good, the dash gage reads just over the halfway mark when the engine is hot at idle.
What I was hoping to find out from the forum was the next step of diagnosis to resolve this problem.
I could certainly take it to the stealership but I do not trust them.
I am sure this is not an isolated problem with this truck/engine.
The truck does sounds like a diesel after it is warmed up because of the cam-phaser ; however, I do not think it is excessive. Can cam-phaser cause this type missing problem even if it runs good at high RPMS?
I would like to find out if this electrical or mechanical. If it is mechanical I may just rebuild the motor or get a rebuild motor.
Any help would be great.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 PM

Is your check engine light on?

Note that your oil pressure gauge is not really a gauge - ford saved some money and only installed a switch instead of a sender. That's why it doesn't move as rpm changes.

I doubt it's the phasers causing this, but if you don't have codes to read I wouldn't know where to begin.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes a fuel injector could cause this problem. They usually cause an alful vibration that make you think your wheels are falling off. Throttlebody won't make it missfire.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Default im also habing similar problems

i have an 01 and my engine has been giving me vibrations between the speed of 35 to 50 and i have ni idea whats causing it. i also have the 5.4 triton and it has alot of miles on it too thow and was thinking about a rebuild but i dont really have the funds for it. anyone got some advice for me? btw its up to 186k on it and yes i service it every 3k

Quick Reply: 5.4 Triton - Worth the Repairs