Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 Triton Broken Spark Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 5.4 Triton Broken Spark Plug?

Decided to install new plugs today on my 06 Screw. I have read a lot about the broken plug issue and did what I could to avoid having problems but from what I gather, it sometimes seems unavoidable. I got six out and am working on two that are causing problems. I used sea foam lube to clean out carbon buildup and it seemed to help.

I was able to unthread the entire nut for the two spark plugs I am having problems. Meaning they felt like they were going to come out just like the others but when I used my needle nose to grab the plug to pull them out they are stuck. Are these broken? Plugs? Do I need to pick up the special broken spark plug kit tomorrow from NAPA? Or is there something I need to do to loosen the plug? I figured that the spark plugs would actually break or separate and the plug doesn't appear to be broken or snapped. I don't know if there is something I can do to loosen the plug. Any advise would be great. I hope to finish tomorrow but don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:29 AM

Also worth mentioning the nut is completely unthreaded from the plug. Is there such a thing as a spark plug tool I can buy that will help me remove the plug from the hole once it is loose? They can be tricky to grab with my needle nose.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:56 AM

I was able to slide the threaded portion of the plug up the hole and grab it with the needle nose. What's my next step here?
Attached Thumbnails 5.4 Triton Broken Spark Plug?-image-4033863567.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 05:22 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Not sure I understand; did you get the remaing plug(s) out?
Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This same thing happened to me last weekend. The plugs are most likely broken...and you need to remove the porcelain above the tip and then use the extractor to get the tip out....or they are not completely broken yet....in the latter case....you need to somehow break them off so you can use the extractor to get the tip out....the tip of the plugs are seized in the head....all you did was spin the plug sleeve off with your socket. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. If you can wiggle the top of the plug around in the plug well then that means the plugs are broken....I stuck a screwdriver in and wiggled my broken plugs loose...then I used a mechanics hand to grab them. Hope this helps....but you will more than likely need to use the extractor now. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:23 AM

After further soaking this is what I have. I was able to pull out the threaded piece and top piece. Is the bottom piece in firm enough for me to top into it with the extractor tool?
Attached Thumbnails 5.4 Triton Broken Spark Plug?-image-421526512.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I myself have not had to extract a broken one yet but yes, you do need the lysle tool for extraction. Having the electrode come out will give you the hole to get it started with no real issues I believe. If I had to remove one, I would rather have one that looks like your pic, shouldnt be too hard, you will probably get mad at yourself for stressing on this so hard when you get them out. Let us know how it goes, now go down to the store and get the tool so you can finish. Good luck.
Tom
Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 AM

On my way now.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This is what I did...I can't guarantee it will work for you so I cannot be liable for any damages that may occur in the process....but just follow the directions that come with the lisle extractor. Insert threaded pusher sleeve and tighten down until firm. Insert pusher screw and tighten until it bottoms out on the top of the pusher sleeve. Back out pusher screw, then back out pusher sleeve. Suck out any loose porcelain. Insert puller sleeve guide and insert puller (extractor). Tighten counter-clockwise until tight (should be hard to turn). Then put the nylon sleeves over the end of the puller tool and thread on the left handed nut. Back the puller tool out by tightening the left hand nut. NOTE* Make sure you tighten the extractor down enough times to engage as many threads as possible....this is only a guide....so don't take my word for it....this tool was designed for this specific job...but it's not always 100% effective. Good luck though....you shouldn't have any issues as long as you take your time.

Last edited by bwFX42006; 04-07-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:27 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

OP;

There is a manual and a vidya on this page that may help ye:

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=484

Best o' luck!

MGD

Quick Reply: 5.4 Triton Broken Spark Plug?