Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 tick

Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.4 tick

Have the notorious ticking or knocking sound coming from the motor of my 2005 f150 5.4L 3V. Do any of you know what it is or how to fix it? I know their known for the sound but it is getting worse and worse. I think it may be the timing belt so I fear that if it breaks my whole motor will be done. So if someone could help me out that would be great.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/
Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default Don't worry be happy

Seriously the final fix sticky is your guide .
Basically you have a poor oem oil pump ,leaking chain tensioners gaskets .
It causes loss of tension on the chains which cause whipping of the chains then plastic guides break causing more whipping of chain . Chain starts eating thru timing cover ,plastic guide pieces jam up in oil pump pickup causing more oil pressure flow problems. Vcts act up to cam phasors . Lash adjusters and rollers get starved for oil .
Some will sell you on replacing cam phasors or just vct's . Some will sell you on a $700 lockout kit for phasors . Some will sell you on thick oil .
AS you can guess none of this fixes the oil flow . A new melling oil pump and oem timing parts are the answer . It is a difficult job to get to all this stuff but I and others have done it with much reading here, I really don't like all this engine stuff but I did it . That means you can do it . Don't put junk in there its too hard to get in there.
My engine had one roller thrown to the side and some bad lash adjusters all were replaced and it runs quiet . Do you have more money or do you want to work on it .
There"s lots of help here .
Mine is 5.4l 3v 2005 lariat 165k
read read more

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/cam-pha...r-cost-355876/

Old 09-01-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Seriously the final fix sticky is your guide . Basically you have a poor oem oil pump ,leaking chain tensioners gaskets . It causes loss of tension on the chains which cause whipping of the chains then plastic guides break causing more whipping of chain . Chain starts eating thru timing cover ,plastic guide pieces jam up in oil pump pickup causing more oil pressure flow problems. Vcts act up to cam phasors . Lash adjusters and rollers get starved for oil . Some will sell you on replacing cam phasors or just vct's . Some will sell you on a $700 lockout kit for phasors . Some will sell you on thick oil . AS you can guess none of this fixes the oil flow . A new melling oil pump and oem timing parts are the answer . It is a difficult job to get to all this stuff but I and others have done it with much reading here, I really don't like all this engine stuff but I did it . That means you can do it . Don't put junk in there its too hard to get in there. My engine had one roller thrown to the side and some bad lash adjusters all were replaced and it runs quiet . Do you have more money or do you want to work on it . There"s lots of help here . Mine is 5.4l 3v 2005 lariat 165k read read more https://www.f150forum.com/f4/cam-pha...r-cost-355876/ Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QPahVJJqFw
thanks man. The problem is that I have no money! I'm 17 and this is my first truck but I know how to work on them . This was very helpful.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I found my tick in my 2008 5.4 3 valve. It was the cam follower on the rear passenger side bank, bearing was shot. It got worse and worse. I have elected to install rebuilt heads so I get more for my buck spent although I could have spent the money for just the cam follower and but tend it back up. If your budget is tight I recommend purchasing the valve tool specific for this engine and then pops the valve cover and find the culprit and replace. You can then look at the cam phaser according to the awesome sticky about this problem. If you do not fix the tick you could easily run yourself into more serious problems in th near future. I'm posting my current problems with parts ordered that are not working do to the variety of the same casting numbers and different combinations.

Good luck with your repairs.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Also check your spark plugs. There's a video on YouTube that shows a guy with the same sort of tick, but it ended up being 2 loose plugs. Let me find it
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 09-02-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Check your exhaust manifolds before you tear into the engine.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by screamineagle
Check your exhaust manifolds before you tear into the engine.

^^^ This ^^^ passenger side is notorious for cracking and ticking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 tick