Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 rough idle after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 rough idle after rebuild

I have a 2005 f150 5.4 4x4 that was having issuers when truck was warm and idling started shaking the whole truck like I lost 4 cylinders . So like everyone else I replace one VCt then replace cam position sensor. Then replaced the timing chain guides and cam phasers. That worked for about a week . So I finally hooked up a oil gauge where the sensor is at the bottom of motor, at hot idle that needle bouncing like crazy from 0 to 45. I took apart the oil pan to see if bearing was bad and they was pitted. Time to pull motor, took about 15hr to pull and disassembly the engine. Went to a machine shop dropped the heads and block off to check everything. What they found was one cam was worn out so no oil pressure was building on heads causing my hot idle to run extremely rough.

I bought a rebuild kit off of rock auto. DnJ was the brand name of the part I bought. I need 20 over size rings and pistons.. aKA THEY DID NOT SEND ME THE RIGHT OIL RINGS. I put the whole thing back together just to find out that oil ring was not seating. I was smoking like crazy threw exhaust for 400 miles. I used tons of oil to

Round to to fix the oil ring. Motor was out and disassembly in less then 6hr, I'm pretty sure this is a recorded haha. Motor was fixed and reinstalled.

Now to the issuer I'm having now at idle the truck rumbles like I put a aftermarket cam in it. No lights on. It's driving me crazy! Can anyone give me some ideas to fix it??

Last edited by Jalanfoxx.; 02-10-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

reluctor ring in backwards maybe? If the teeth are not pointing out, or it is forgotten when putting the cover back on, it will idle like crap or not at all. Just my 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
Jalanfoxx. (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
reluctor ring in backwards maybe? If the teeth are not pointing out, or it is forgotten when putting the cover back on, it will idle like crap or not at all. Just my 2 cents.
If that is the gear like thing that the crankshaft sensor uses. I know I put that in the right way. I wrote front on it soil could put in backwards. Thank for the response.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:55 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I would inspect the plugs first. If you were driving for 400 miles while burning a bunch of oil, one or more could have fouled.
If you have a scanner with the ability, take a look at your fuel trims at warm idle. See if you're running rich/lean, on one bank or both. That may help you determine if you have a vacuum leak.
Do a compression test. It's possible one of the head gaskets got a little messed up.

Quick Reply: 5.4 rough idle after rebuild