Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

Default 5.4 mileage

I am looking at buying a 2005 lariat 4x4 with 170,000 miles on it. It has the original motor and transmission. Should I look else where with this many miles or should it last me longer? I have also heard a lot of bad things about the early 5.4s so any information on those would also be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same setup you mentioned. 2005, 5.4, 4x4, lariat, with 194,000 on it and i am loving it. running full synthetic and do so minor things here and there. otherwise, i feel as though i have moony more miles on this truck to come. i always want to upgrade to a new one, but no one will pay for this truck and i can't find anything wrong with it, so i keep it and drive the heck out of it daily.

how much do they want??? thats the biggest question and what extras does it have? you know one thing, it's not a lemon. Lemons would never last that long
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM

He wants $12,000 with no extra options except a flow master exhaust system but, it is a supercrew. If I get it I will have to talk him down some with those miles.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 PM

putting things in perspective, gas prices are going up and some cannot continue to pay for a truck. more will become available on the market. currently there is an 08 lariat, 4x4, 5.4, super crew in my neighborhood for $24k. i know he would take $20k. it has 84k miles and is in primo condition. To go with it, he just did the brakes and the tires were replaced about 1k miles ago. $12k seems high... if i could get $12 for mine i would be stoked, but most likely not even close. i have a Leer (their top end) shell, Airaid CAI, Banks exhaust, 20 inch rims with Hankook tires with about 8500 miles on them, sunroof, leather, power rear window, 2 inch leveling kit. Also, before you make an offer, check to see what he has done was far as maintenance, i.e., shocks, tranny, motor oil, radiator flushing, plugs/coils/boots, brakes. If they haven't been done recently, be ready. $$$
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slopoek
putting things in perspective, gas prices are going up and some cannot continue to pay for a truck. more will become available on the market. currently there is an 08 lariat, 4x4, 5.4, super crew in my neighborhood for $24k. i know he would take $20k. it has 84k miles and is in primo condition. To go with it, he just did the brakes and the tires were replaced about 1k miles ago. $12k seems high... if i could get $12 for mine i would be stoked, but most likely not even close. i have a Leer (their top end) shell, Airaid CAI, Banks exhaust, 20 inch rims with Hankook tires with about 8500 miles on them, sunroof, leather, power rear window, 2 inch leveling kit. Also, before you make an offer, check to see what he has done was far as maintenance, i.e., shocks, tranny, motor oil, radiator flushing, plugs/coils/boots, brakes. If they haven't been done recently, be ready. $$$
I've been considering the Banks exhaust. How do you like it? How loud is it in the truck? Did you do the headers also? Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM

He just bought it at a repo auction so he has no idea about anything that may have been replaced on it. I know he probably has a lot less money in the truck so what do you think would be a fair price with the truck in good condition for the age and miles on it?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 PM

He's $3000+ high unless it is a king ranch with every option ever thought of and absolutely immaculate
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 11rangerZ520
He just bought it at a repo auction so he has no idea about anything that may have been replaced on it. I know he probably has a lot less money in the truck so what do you think would be a fair price with the truck in good condition for the age and miles on it?
I wouldn't pay more then 7k.. repo recovery= bad title= no trade in value. Plus that's a lot of miles to not know anything about it.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM

I would probably look elsewhere for a truck. doesn't sound good to me. with a truck having that many miles on it, I would want to know everything about it from a reliable source, not just the cornerstone mechanic.

As far as the Banks exhaust (no headers) on my truck, I love it. Noisy when it should be and otherwise it has a nice pitch to it. not toooooo noisy all the time. Also, fairly easy to install. I can tell you this, it looks slick and sounds very nice. I would recommend.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by slopoek
I would probably look elsewhere for a truck. doesn't sound good to me. with a truck having that many miles on it, I would want to know everything about it from a reliable source, not just the cornerstone mechanic.

As far as the Banks exhaust (no headers) on my truck, I love it. Noisy when it should be and otherwise it has a nice pitch to it. not toooooo noisy all the time. Also, fairly easy to install. I can tell you this, it looks slick and sounds very nice. I would recommend.
Thanks for the info...sorry about the hi-jack

Quick Reply: 5.4 mileage