Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 liter is stock and its a pig compared to my 4.6??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Union Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 liter is stock and its a pig compared to my 4.6??

Hey guys, i have a 05 fx4 5.4 and when i mash on it its honestly just a pig, i hate to say it but my com[any truck that has a vortek 5.3 liter has twice as much kick down, put you back in your seat.. then my 5.4 in my own truck, and my company truck has a million miles on it and its a older 02 chevy??!! im like mad and jelous at the same time.. also my 97 4.6 truck has alot more kick down sound then my new truck with the 5.4??? whats the deal?? it just seems like my new 5.4 is just a pig?!!! when i hammer on it it shifts at just under 5 grand, every other v-8 ive driven will wind alomost to 6000. im alittle diapointed.. anything i can do to pep it up? other then the ovious like k&n and ezhaust and stupid **** like that? i want this truck to scream and **** alot higher R's when it does! help me out, maybe a programmer but i dont want to blow the motor ya know, its stock and its my daily driver im just alittle upset
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

mine used to be a slow POS until I got it tuned...my 87 octane tune with my volant intake and borla catback is really a different truck from what i drove off the lot new.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL...you are seeing the "drive by wire" response of Fords tune for your 05...I swear my 02 5.4 with 40 less HP will outrun an 05 hands down...but it won't. I might get the initial jump & feel like I am winning but the newer models beat me in the 1/4 mile according to the tests I have read.

I rented an 04 for a week once & didn't like it's drivability at all...solution? Go get it tuned for throttle response & shifting points at a reputable truck tuner...easy. Won't hurt anything.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest a custom tune. Then you can change the shift points and other things you are looking for.

As has been discussed, Ford has stayed away from the idea that having the biggest HP and off the line performance is what makes a truck a good truck. Ford has instead focused on payload, towing, safety, and the handling characteristics of the truck while under load. So is it a pig? Maybe but then again it was built to do a job and it does it better than any of the other trucks out there regardless of the 1/4 mile time.

John
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Stone is correct. These trucks excel at doing what they are designed to do and it's not drag racing.

Having said though obus and stone are right in suggesting getting it tuned. Totally different rig after the CAI, FLowmaster, and tune.

So...now I can eat that Tundra down the street (which I did the other day) or tow what I want or crawl around the desert and mountains too!!

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 10-31-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 PM

Never trust the old "butt 'o meter", just because a car or truck FEELS quicker doesn't meant that's the case. As someone else pointed out the only way to know for sure is on a race track or measuring the times on a known (safe) stretch of road.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM

deffinately need a tune i got my 87 gas tune done by troyer, you can request firmer shifting what a world of diffrence it makessss
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a good SCT tuner and have fun with it. See sig for one of the best tuners around.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:55 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Stone
I would suggest a custom tune. Then you can change the shift points and other things you are looking for.

As has been discussed, Ford has stayed away from the idea that having the biggest HP and off the line performance is what makes a truck a good truck. Ford has instead focused on payload, towing, safety, and the handling characteristics of the truck while under load. So is it a pig? Maybe but then again it was built to do a job and it does it better than any of the other trucks out there regardless of the 1/4 mile time.

John

AAMMEENN!!!! Best thing I've read all day!!! at 9am...lol
Old 11-01-2008, 01:17 PM

i agree with stone as well but i went the rout of wanting both neck snap and tow 25000 pounds so i ran true dual exhaust big intake and a programmer on mine the down side is that now the rear tires tend to break loose going down the highway. (it is fun to do though when you expect it and you are next to a Ferrari he can try all day but just cant get the same effect (he still out runs you in a heart beat)) the other real down side is i have to put a new shift kit in my truck. any high performance trany setup advice would be cool.

good luck at getting what you want

Quick Reply: 5.4 liter is stock and its a pig compared to my 4.6??