Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4- high milage, preventative maintanance

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4- high milage, preventative maintanance

Ok so hear it is currently driving 04 lariat crew cab 4x4 with floor shifter , leather, power everything, sunroof, power back window and etc... very nice..especially back in 2004 lol. I love the truck I do but I just bought it a lil over a year ago with 130k...now it has just over 140k. problems = I over paid (my fault) actually sill owe a lot on the loan so technically its not even mine yet title in hand wise. Eh but now mechanical- rear end leaks, needs new gears , cruise control and everything on steering wheel does not work, few window motors are starting to go out, leaks around sunroof and back window when rains enough where it gets soaked inside, probabably need new cam phaser or whatever, believe it has a misfire...rear end is bent so I either keep it and replace what needs and hope for best or get a new rear axle ( not leaf springs ) , ac is broke does not work and the trans feels from time to time like it may be slipping but not real bad. I believe thats about it might be leaving few things out drives good around town but has no top end and when hits hills it will only start going when i'm pretty much on the floor with the gas peddle and same as passing on freeway. It is on 35" tires but still would think it shouldn't have that much of a change with the v8 oh and gas is about 8-9 mpg which i see on hear others getting lil better i know its not going to be great but you know...so basically my questions are should I get a newer used ecoboost under warranty only thing is it would be 2 wheel drive , colomn shifter, no comfort features, prob the most base model there is maybe even standard cab if I'm lucky extra cab... or keep what I got and keep take it for what it is and pay the things in the best prioroty that I can... plus I have already put money in it fixed the leak between the transfer case and transmission (internally) new shocks , wheels&tires, repaired messed up wiring to get taillights working currently fixing or trying to get my headlights to stay working just put new hid kit but still get one light and sometimes and could be passenger one day and next driver side.. and yeah idk feel like I'm going to put over or about 4k just to be how it should...obviously if I could I'd by new raptor or even new eco boost just like mine but yeah just not the rite time or prob anytime soon unless win powerball .... so i know that was a lot said so i'll try to make this shorter, if i keep what preventative maintanance besides oil, spark plugs and such is recommended at 140-150k.... how long can the 5.4 go if treated great.. and this one is basically more personal preference guess but get something more reliable better on gas but not what you really want and just had..basically anyone out there do something similir and regret or glad they did and not looking back on either really... so yhhuuup those my questions if anyone would like to share there 2 cents -thanx one last thing should i stick with what ford uses on plugs, coils..etc or are any of the aftermarket that say you get better fuel and power any good ?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Sounds like you bought a salvaged vehicle that has been hit by a train about 14 times. Rear end bent? Lariat with a floor mounted 4x4 shifter? And your making payments on this truck? I can offer nothing else with the info you provided
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

This truck sounds like a nightmare and a complete money pit. I'd get rid of it.

I prefer to keep my vehicles for a long time. But when the repair/ maintnece costs are expensive and frequent (which sounds like they are in your case) it makes sense to me to get rid of that vehicle and use that same "repair" money for a monthly payment on a new reliable vehicle.

And my financial view, It sucks that you still owe a lot of money for an old, higher mileage truck.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you luck.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by screamineagle
Sounds like you bought a salvaged vehicle that has been hit by a train about 14 times. Rear end bent? Lariat with a floor mounted 4x4 shifter? And your making payments on this truck? I can offer nothing else with the info you provided
Not floor mounted 4x4 shifter, center console shifter for the reg 4 spd trans this truck has. My apologized if confused anyone, my 4x4 switch is to the right of my steering wheel next to ac where everyone else's...the axle has been hit by something prob rocks or something yeah...
Old 10-12-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by connorfx4
This truck sounds like a nightmare and a complete money pit. I'd get rid of it. I prefer to keep my vehicles for a long time. But when the repair/ maintnece costs are expensive and frequent (which sounds like they are in your case) it makes sense to me to get rid of that vehicle and use that same "repair" money for a monthly payment on a new reliable vehicle. And my financial view, It sucks that you still owe a lot of money for an old, higher mileage truck. Whatever you end up doing, I wish you luck.
yea unfortunately that's pretty much where I'm at but do like the truck even tho so it's hard guess I'm wondering if there are even more hidden surprises that tend to come around that time with those miles... thnx for reply
Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Oil changes, new spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter is all I can think off off-hand to keep the engine running well. In my experience with vehicles, the engine outlasts the rest of the vehicle anyway.

Did all those things go wrong in the 10k miles you have owned it??

Sounds like a lot of repairs for someone who doesn’t make repairs him/her self. It's only one year and 10K miles older than when you got it, you may be able to sell it for about what you bought it for.

You mentioned "better on gas", IMO no gas powered full size truck gets good enough gas mileage to sell one you already have, even the eco boost... just wait til those turbos need repair/replacing.

30% said "too close to call"
https://www.f150forum.com/f70/poll-3...-s-real-world/
Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

You may like the truck, but is going into debt any further really worth it? Sounds like the engine may be toast since the phasers are bad, there goes another 2-4 grand.....I would get as much $$$ as you can as soon as you can and upgrade to something newer with less miles and less issues.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:36 AM

eh ya I guess I'm trying to find reasons to keep but financially I will prob end up dumping a ton of money into just keeping it running. I just don't know if I'm going to like sending a payment to something I'm not really into since I can't get a newer version of my truck, but least it will run properly and hopefully still be under warranty and maybe i can pay it down some in a year or so then trade it in for something like what I have now but obviously way newer.. guess either way is going to suck and have its ups and downs but $ wise guess I'm starting to think more what is needed then wanted. Cool well thank you all for replying and your feedback
Old 10-13-2016, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by blckf150
eh ya I guess I'm trying to find reasons to keep but financially I will prob end up dumping a ton of money into just keeping it running. I just don't know if I'm going to like sending a payment to something I'm not really into since I can't get a newer version of my truck, but least it will run properly and hopefully still be under warranty and maybe i can pay it down some in a year or so then trade it in for something like what I have now but obviously way newer.. guess either way is going to suck and have its ups and downs but $ wise guess I'm starting to think more what is needed then wanted. Cool well thank you all for replying and your feedback
anybody out there interested in it lol... for some one that doesn't mind wrenching on there vehicle from time to time it would be killer truck for them. King coil over's with remote reservoirs in front with brenthal (BajaKits upper control arms) King piggy backs in rear, 35" bfg's all terrain ko2's on 17" method NV's , k&n intake , jba shorty headers, flow master exhaust, 12" kicker sub ... so yeah.. sorry mods I know that prob should be in dif section but just kinda going from our talks above and kinda kidding since I owe a lot on loan I'll prob make an add in correct spot but that's it all above all out there...
Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like a nicely equipped truck. Clean it up, take a few pics and throw it on the internet to see what offers you get.

Quick Reply: 5.4- high milage, preventative maintanance