Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 Engine problem

Recently bought an 04 F150,FX4,5.4, auto with 100K miles for my son. Brought the truck home and about two weeks later, engine starts making a noise. Took it to the repair shop and was told problem was tensioners and take it to a dealer, they wouldn't touch it. Took it to the dealer and they said it could be in the timing or the back part of the engine. Week later, new timing gears, timing chains, tensioners, new spark plugs, and $1,700 dollars later I drive it home. Runs great for 250 local miles. Today it starts making the same noise at 1000 rpm's. Take to shop, they say take it back to dealer to re-do their work, problem the same. Is there anything else that could be causing the problem. I dread taking it back to the dealer because I know they are going to charge me and they won't admit it's their problem. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks, Dan
Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Binderman
Recently bought an 04 F150,FX4,5.4, auto with 100K miles for my son. Brought the truck home and about two weeks later, engine starts making a noise. Took it to the repair shop and was told problem was tensioners and take it to a dealer, they wouldn't touch it. Took it to the dealer and they said it could be in the timing or the back part of the engine. Week later, new timing gears, timing chains, tensioners, new spark plugs, and $1,700 dollars later I drive it home. Runs great for 250 local miles. Today it starts making the same noise at 1000 rpm's. Take to shop, they say take it back to dealer to re-do their work, problem the same. Is there anything else that could be causing the problem. I dread taking it back to the dealer because I know they are going to charge me and they won't admit it's their problem. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks, Dan
They are also known for having cam phazer noises along with lifter(tappet) noises in 2004 mske shure they check base oil pressure hot.... they should have recommend the phazers while they had it apart..
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure whether they will know what you're talking about, seriously. What does the cam phaser do and what is the purpose of checking the oil pressure hot? I'm not sure I have much faith in them. The noise is more of a rakeing noise than a tapping. More like a bearing. Thanks, Dan
Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Binderman
I'm not sure whether they will know what you're talking about, seriously. What does the cam phaser do and what is the purpose of checking the oil pressure hot? I'm not sure I have much faith in them. The noise is more of a rakeing noise than a tapping. More like a bearing. Thanks, Dan
Here's the cam phaser tsb : http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jm...222832_vct.pdf

Quick Reply: 5.4 Engine problem