Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.4 burning oil

I have a new to me 2006 fx4 with a 5.4 that burns oil. (130,000 miles) It was my brothers old truck. After doing some research about it, I saw that in some cases a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve that is closed or clogged can cause the engine to burn oil. (watched a video on youtube) When the truck is running you can't smell any old being burnt and I have not been able to find any oil under the truck. (it has rained every time I've been home.) The truck has a x pipe running straight out the back. I have noticed that there is some type of residue in side of my tips. I can't say that its oil but it might be. (a lot of soot) Does any one have any recommendations on what I should look at to figure out why its burning oil and also has any one had a problem with the PCV Valve or there 5.4 burning oil.

Thanks,
Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnhill
I have a new to me 2006 fx4 with a 5.4 that burns oil. (130,000 miles) It was my brothers old truck. After doing some research about it, I saw that in some cases a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve that is closed or clogged can cause the engine to burn oil. (watched a video on youtube) When the truck is running you can't smell any old being burnt and I have not been able to find any oil under the truck. (it has rained every time I've been home.) The truck has a x pipe running straight out the back. I have noticed that there is some type of residue in side of my tips. I can't say that its oil but it might be. (a lot of soot) Does any one have any recommendations on what I should look at to figure out why its burning oil and also has any one had a problem with the PCV Valve or there 5.4 burning oil.

Thanks,
Its normal buddy. Up to a quart every 1000 is considered normal on a ford modular engine. Mine uses exactly that. My grandad has been a small engine mechanic all his life. He said the motors that use a little oil tend to run a hell of alot longer. It may be using a little of oil, but it's broke in and lubed up inside you can believe that lol. Just keep check on it. Drive 1000 miles and see how low it is. I have straights as well and hasn't gotten any better or worse I've tried almost every synthetic. Bout to go back to dyno oil

Also the pcv valve on a 3 valve is in the valve cover itself. I replaced it all when I did my cam phasers and it still uses oil. It's a heat controlled valve on a sensor. You can try but it prolly won't help its what's the engine is settled into.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHOWELL34
Its normal buddy. Up to a quart every 1000 is considered normal on a ford modular engine. Mine uses exactly that. My grandad has been a small engine mechanic all his life. He said the motors that use a little oil tend to run a hell of alot longer. It may be using a little of oil, but it's broke in and lubed up inside you can believe that lol. Just keep check on it. Drive 1000 miles and see how low it is. I have straights as well and hasn't gotten any better or worse I've tried almost every synthetic. Bout to go back to dyno oil

Also the pcv valve on a 3 valve is in the valve cover itself. I replaced it all when I did my cam phasers and it still uses oil. It's a heat controlled valve on a sensor. You can try but it prolly won't help its what's the engine is settled into.
I get what your saying. I have seen a lot of these 5.4 that have 200,000 miles to 300,000 miles that don't burn a drop. I was thinking about trying a thicker oil but i guess that wont work. Also for curiosity reasons I want to know what part has messed up. Also my brother said it burns about a quart every 1,000 miles. but do you get a lot of soot in your exhaust pipe?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnhill
I get what your saying. I have seen a lot of these 5.4 that have 200,000 miles to 300,000 miles that don't burn a drop. I was thinking about trying a thicker oil but i guess that wont work. Also for curiosity reasons I want to know what part has messed up. Also my brother said it burns about a quart every 1,000 miles. but do you get a lot of soot in your exhaust pipe?
Yeah it's there. I'm at 220k. I would just keep driving it and make sure it never gets worse. Just buy you 2 5 quart jugs each oil change. Keep the rest for when it gets low. 😁
Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

My 07 I think is starting to burn some oil. It was a quart low the other day with 170,000 miles on it, black soot on the exhaust tips etc. It's normal. I was curious about the soot as well and was told it was normal.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Don't go with a thicker oil in the 5.4 engine....
You will likely cause more issues from lack of lube.
Keep using a good quality oil of the recommended viscosity - refill as necessary.
Good oil is much cheaper than major repairs.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Replace the motor NOW! Impending doom! Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER!

I crack me up.

Check your oil regularly, and top it off. Some motors burn oil, there's nothing you can do about it now. At $4/qt, and burning a quart every 1K miles, you invest the whopping sum of $60 in oil to drive for a year.

I'd just buy the oil and move on down the road.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to synthetic

I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic changed at 64k now at 67500 used 1.3 quarts to get back to normal. Got a 2007 mark lt 5.4
Old 06-07-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 06 with 219,000 on it and burn a quart of oil every 1000-1200 miles. I use Royal purple. Now I'm not so worried that I see everybody else is burning oil too.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

My personal exper Is I burn less using conventional or a syn blend as opposed to full synthetic. When I was running M1, I’d lose around 3 quarts between oil changes. Switching to conventional, I’d only burn a quart-ish. I’ve always ran 5K interval on oil.

Quick Reply: 5.4 burning oil