Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 bogs when accelerating at temp

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.4 bogs when accelerating at temp

I have an 04 with a 5.4 3v that ran fine up until one of the tensioners failed and it jumped time. I pulled everything down and changed all timing components and phasers. I got everything back together and it started and sounded strong except when idling and had no brakes so i traced it to the vacuum hose going to the brake booster. I had to pull the intake manifold off to reconnect the hose and after all was said and done it started and idled perfectly so I hoped in and took it for a spin. While the engine was cold it accelerated fine and all was good but when the engine got hot, it started to bog badly when accelerating. It has almost no acceleration when its hot wether its from a stop or while rolling yet when parked it revs fine even while hot. The check engine light did not come on either. I have no idea what this could be and I'm looking for answers please. Im hoping its not an issue with the timing which seems highly unlikely to me because it accelerates perfectly when cold and revs fine when not under a load wether the engine is hot or cold. Could it be a leaking intake manifold gasket? If so is there anyway to test it before disassembling it?

While everything was down, I also changed one of the clips to the a coil that i had broke a while back, could there be a connection issue with it?

Also forgot to mention that I get a popping sound sometimes when I smash on the gas. Maybe a backfire in the cats?

Last edited by tdek5462; 02-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Really sounds go me like a bad connection . Check your cop connections and check for neck fractures. Also check the wiring to the connector going to the cop furthest back on the passenger side. It gets right next to the air conditioner hot side line and can start shorting.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice but the only thing leading me to disbelieve that it is the coils is that it only does it when hot however I will make look into them. Would a code scanner pic up a misfire even if the cel is not on?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,597 Likes on 6,203 Posts

My experience to get a CEL to finally appear, is to run it hard under the condition that causes the issue. Not sure if that makes sense to you.

Quick Reply: 5.4 bogs when accelerating at temp