Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 3v timing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.4 3v timing questions

Say im going to overhaul my timing system. It is noisy on cold starts, and I can hear what sounds like chain slap for the first 2-3 min of driving until the truck get warm. After it gets warm at idle it sounds like a powerstroke diesel idling with phaser knock. My question is are the above symptoms bad enough to replace all timing components? My truck is a 2004 fx4 5.4 3v with 166k miles. If it does need the timing components where do I get them from? I've seen prices from a few sites like mmr for 699$ with everything needed and I saw another kit for 205 from freedom racing it doesn't include phasers. Of some one has had this done by a mechanic shop what was the price tag.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check out my thread, I just did all this, all my stuff was Ford OEM from ebay (oemselect I believe)

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/need-he...-chain-286036/
Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 PM

I would do the job myself but I'm kinda a novice and time constrained
Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by notastockdohc
I would do the job myself but I'm kinda a novice and time constrained

Its not really a hard job, there are a lot of good threads on this site for getting it done right the first time, just use oem parts. I did this project during the summer and no problems since. I also changed out my lash adjusters and followers while I was in there. Time consuming but not that bad.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:17 AM

Wish I had the time to have my truck down for days on end but I don't. I will ask this. This is what doesn't make sense to me cold starts I hear a momentary chain slap it goes away instantly. But I go down the road say 1000-1500 rpm doing 15-25mph depending then I pull out on the main road and have to get up to 55mph kinda quickly (keep in mind my truck has been running 3-5 min at this point) I pull out in the main road take her up over 2000 to 2800 ish rpm I can hear what sound like detonation to the extrem but sounds like chain slap/rattle. I keep it at this rpm the noise stays consistent I increase rpm it becomes louder ect but then after about a min or so of it going this it goes away 100%? Wtf? Yes at this point the truck is up to operating temp. Some would say well the tensioners finally got pressurized okay I will belt ice that but also when oil gets hot and warm it thins out and your oil pressure actually gets lower not higher. Oil pressure should be it's highest when it's cold and the thickest right? So what is this noise I'm hearing?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM

If you could post a sound clip, that may help but I have a couple of questions. 1. What type of oil filter are you using? The motorcraft one has a drainback valve that helps to prevent all the oil leaving it when the engine is turned off. The momentary chain slap sounds like the tensioner has lost pressure (probably from a blown tensioner seal) but could be because the oil filter does not have the drainback valve. That may help. 2. Have you checked the exhaust manifolds for leaks, normally you will get the ticking noise when the engine is cold and then if it goes away completely when the engine is warmed up, it turns out to be an exhaust manifold leak (they are a pain to change). Good luck, try to answer these questions and maybe we can help.
Tom
Old 02-15-2015, 11:53 AM

Thanks man. I've had numerous people tell me I need a timing overhaul. But I'm like as the truck get hotter and the oil gets warmer and thinned out the oil pressure should go down so the noise if it blown tensioners the noise should get louder but like I said it goes away and doesn't return till the truck cools completely down again. It could be exhaust leak idk. It has a fram filter so no check valve that's the timing slap on start up it part like a second or two and goes away. So on the manifold how are they leaking? A broken bolt?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:03 PM

The tensioner seal being blown out will normally build pressure after a few seconds and provide tension on the guide arms to tighten the chain though. Also, fram does not have the drainback valve, so change that when you can, it may help. Broken bolts are known to happen on the exhaust manifold for these engines, may have to crawl underneath with a good flashlight and maybe a mirror to see them all. Look for black soot, that may help to identify a leak. I have also heard of individuals using seafoam through the brake booster hose and watching for "smoke" to come out of the exhaust manifold to try to pinpoint the leak. If you try that, make sure that the manifold is still cold because the leak tends to close up when it gets hot. Let us know.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 PM

I will check it out. Question are the timing component issues on these trucks as bad as everyone said they are or I'm I just hearing isolated horror stories
Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Your description of the chain rattle sounds to me like one or both of the chain guides are broken. The guides also help to keep tension. As you accelerate, the chain will want to spread out. Normally it can't because of the tensioners and guides. If the guides are broken, and the tensioners aren't operating properly, then you'll get that rattle/slap noise.
The diesel noise once it warms up is because of the phasers. The computer keeps them locked until the motor is warmed up.
However, vintageman has a good point about the manifolds. They can be mistaken for phaser knock, and vice versa. What makes me think that's not the main issue, is that it goes away. A manifold leak can seal itself when it's warm (the whole metal expanding thing). However, if you get enough exhaust pressure to leak again(increased rpms), it won't go away until the pressure is reduced(lower rpms).

Quick Reply: 5.4 3v timing questions