Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 3v swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 3v swap

I have a 2004 F1DY with the 5.4L with 155K miles and I have heard about all these 3v problems and am wondering if i can just drop a 5.4 2v in its place. Same size engine and everything should match up. I had a 2000 with the 5.4 and got 260K easily and motor was still running very strong, only issue i had is it spit out one of the plugs, which is common on the 2v. Is there a good aftermarket 2v that has stronger spark plug slots? is there any rock solid ones that i can just drop in and only have to replace motor mounts and update computer?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Are you having any issues with your 3v? I would rather just fix the 3v than pay to replace it with a 2v. The issues 3v have would cost less to fix than replacing it with 2v assuming it would work.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by clayhopkins1
I have a 2004 F1DY with the 5.4L with 155K miles and I have heard about all these 3v problems and am wondering if i can just drop a 5.4 2v in its place. Same size engine and everything should match up. I had a 2000 with the 5.4 and got 260K easily and motor was still running very strong, only issue i had is it spit out one of the plugs, which is common on the 2v. Is there a good aftermarket 2v that has stronger spark plug slots? is there any rock solid ones that i can just drop in and only have to replace motor mounts and update computer?
You said it was a 2005 (see yer other thread below). The reason that distinction is important is this: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sd...229_r07m08.pdf
  • It's been done.
  • It won't be inexpensive.
  • I'ts a hassle.
  • You'll end up with less power.

Fix yer 3V - install VCT lockouts/limiters if you really despise the system that much. If yer capable of swapping engines, you can fix the entire VCT infrastructure yerself and save a bundle.

BTW - What did you conclude in yer other thread? Why didn't you respond? Y'all left me hanging - How rude, lol.

==> https://www.f150forum.com/f4/help-05-5-4-a-292771/

MGD

Last edited by MGD; 03-10-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MGD
You said it was a 2005 (see yer other thread below). The reason that distinction is important is this: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sd...229_r07m08.pdf
  • It's been done.
  • It won't be inexpensive.
  • I'ts a hassle.
  • You'll end up with less power.

Fix yer 3V - install VCT lockouts/limiters if you really despise the system that much. If yer capable of swapping engines, you can fix the entire VCT infrastructure yerself and save a bundle.

BTW - What did you conclude in yer other thread? Why didn't you respond? Y'all left me hanging - How rude, lol.

==> https://www.f150forum.com/f4/help-05-5-4-a-292771/

MGD
IK i put in another thread i had a 05 to as a personal vehicle but i also have a 04 as a work truck that i drive more than the 05. and sorry i didn't know anyone responded after me lol and do the lockouts even work that good? Im game for bulletproofing the engine i just dont know what exactly to do to make it solid.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:50 AM
MGD
former member

IK i put in another thread i had a 05 to as a personal vehicle but i also have a 04 as a work truck that i drive more than the 05. and sorry i didn't know anyone responded after me lol and do the lockouts even work that good? Im game for bulletproofing the engine i just dont know what exactly to do to make it solid.
Lockouts/limiter work fine. They will reduce power a bit ( you've defeated the advantages of VCT after all ) and require specific tuning.

Lots of info on the Livernois site.

Fer best results when replacing valvetrain components use latest-revision Motorcraft and avoid Dorman.

MGD
Old 03-11-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MGD
Lockouts/limiter work fine. They will reduce power a bit ( you've defeated the advantages of VCT after all ) and require specific tuning.

Lots of info on the Livernois site.

Fer best results when replacing valvetrain components use latest-revision Motorcraft and avoid Dorman.

MGD
So if i buy brand new Motorcraft versions theyre alot better than originals or are they just like a little better? And how much power loss with lockouts/limiters? Just HP or HP and Torque? and can a regular programmer solve that problem
Old 03-11-2015, 02:33 PM
MGD
former member

So if i buy brand new Motorcraft versions theyre alot better than originals or are they just like a little better? And how much power loss with lockouts/limiters? Just HP or HP and Torque? and can a regular programmer solve that problem
You get what you pay for. Certainly Dorman has proven to be problematic. Why risk having to disassemble twice? That would negate any cost savings.

Dorman phaser after only a short amount of use:

Power loss numbers are on the Livernois site, in the lockout/limiter kit section.

Any competent custom tuning shop should be able to write custom calibrations to support lockouts/limiters. Call around. Use SCT hardware.

MGD
Old 03-12-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MGD
You get what you pay for. Certainly Dorman has proven to be problematic. Why risk having to disassemble twice? That would negate any cost savings.

Dorman phaser after only a short amount of use:

Power loss numbers are on the Livernois site, in the lockout/limiter kit section.

Any competent custom tuning shop should be able to write custom calibrations to support lockouts/limiters. Call around. Use SCT hardware.

MGD
Is SCT the only programmer with the capability or can an edge work to? Reason saying i have a buddy with an unmarried edge cs that i can snag off of him for about $150 w/ dash mount.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:29 AM

Also if i do want to tune my truck after the lockout tune will it screw it up or not so much?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

I just read on a few posts that its not required to replace them? Wouldnt that mess something up or whatnot, seems like running with something thats broken is a real bad idea. Like i said earlier i need a somewhat bulletproof truck that i can drive everyday and not have to worry. or at least worries that ik have to be replaced immediately. But it is an FX4 and i use it to work and the 4x4 will be getting used not frequently but probably few times a month at most. Not deep mud or water but construction site stuff where it does cover the tires.

Quick Reply: 5.4 3v swap