Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 3 valve rebuild questions?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 3 valve rebuild questions?

So I found an 04 fx4 with the 3 valve 5.4.. Picked it up for 1500 bucks .. The body and interior are mint! But the engine needs some love.. It has 150xxx on it.. Old owner said it had a little miss so he took it to Kenny Ross ford .. Where they proceeded to remove the oil pan and then pulled the main bearing by the rear seal and thrust bearing.. It has some abnormal wear and the crank has a few small gouges.. I know that isn't going to make it miss so I assume there's another issue I'll have to figure out once I replace the crank.. So my question is ..
New crank or have it turned with oversized bearings? I'm also going to do the rods bearings while I'm in there.. Figured on timing chain, guides,tensioner ect also ... Should I change the cam phasers also? I found a set on eBay for 200.. Are they going to last or should I go to ford and pay out my butt for them? To sum it up I don't want to have to pull this engine again because I skimped on the rebuild.. If I'm missing something that's a know issue with these trucks Any advice, or opinions would be greatly appricated.. Also oem parts or aftermarket and a few good places to get them.. Thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default You may have to do more than you think

Oil pump melling 360 ,new lash adjusters and rollers , chains ,tensioners ,guides. phasors . New plugs , updated heads with better threads , updated throttle body , VCT's . Got mine from oem select on ebay . Don't put junk in her .
As you can see there is a lot to consider . There is a lot of help on here. make sure you review the final fix sticky on here for the 5.4 .
I have 165k on my 05 5.4 and I did all this myself without pulling engine . She's running smooth . My engine had kicked a roller to the side on one of the number 8 intakes . It had broken guide on passenger side and had jumped time . I'm not a wrench but I did it .
I blame most of it on the poor oem oil pump and plastic guides jamming oil pickup screen . Hopefully I can get another 100k out of her .
You may want to look at a reman long block if you can be sure its done right .
Good luck .
Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default final fix s vares

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 3 valve rebuild questions?