Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Dick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 won't engage

Hello everyone. I have this problem where my truck won't engage completley in 4WD. Here's how it seems, when I put the transfer case into 4HI and 4L I hear the transfer case engage but nothing is happening at the wheels. All I am hearing is a clicking sound that (to me) sounds like it's partially engaging, but in 2Hi it's fine. Recently had the IWE sensor replaced. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 PM
TJT

Originally Posted by dwmorgan@nf.sympatic
Hello everyone. I have this problem where my truck won't engage completley in 4WD. Here's how it seems, when I put the transfer case into 4HI and 4L I hear the transfer case engage but nothing is happening at the wheels. All I am hearing is a clicking sound that (to me) sounds like it's partially engaging, but in 2Hi it's fine. Recently had the IWE sensor replaced. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
Try all the diagnostics suggested in this thread:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/think-i-have-iew-solenoid-issue-help-please-19605/
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
3wV

I would take a professional vacuum pump, a breast pump, a medical syringe, a hose attached, the wheel(s) up in the air and pull on that syringe is spin the wheel quick like!

See, I am checking the mechanical internals and not this unit yet. http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/P1000671.jpg

Once I know I can reset the 4x back out of gear; is then I go thru all the electrical units knowing these have a short life and they are just junk like Chevy with their failed plungers is the same concept to load/disengage the transfer fork away from setting to the front shafts.

See, you could physically have that plunger design removed [without the hose attachments], press that piece that the plunger moved out of gear; you have your mechanics that the plunger handles out of the way. It is now the electrics and servo plunger parts to check before you buy parts that where in the 4x unit.

Gear grind are parts being chipped away. This type debris floats in your bearings and races. It can wear out your wallet is just flush the front end once you repair said plunger type unit to engage the 4x again.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have 4x4 when you go in reverse?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 AM

Sounds stupid but when you try to go to 4WD low are you sitting still and your transmission needs to be in neutral. Give it a minute or two and it is normal to here a clunk when it engages. Same thing when you disengage out of 4WD low.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Possible bad vacuum control solenoid for the 4wd system
Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Dick

Well that's interestng. I recently had the IWE solenoid replaced by the local Ford dealer. The thing is the new sensor that they said they replaced didn't come with the plastic cover on it as the one did in the pic. Also, am I correct to assume that a faulty IWE will try to engage the 4WD system when the truck is in 2WD or can it work the other way and prevent the system from fully engaging (as seems to be my problem).
Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Default I'm not alone, it seems

2004 Ford XL, New Body style, regular cab, long bed, 5.4L, Auto, Manual Dogleg on floor. The dashboard Idiot light illuminates in high and low range. Checked for slack in the linkage - no adjustability. I can hear the front axle clicking - sounds like gear cogs - but the system will not catch. Appears to be either vacuum hoses connected to the hubs or it's electric (highly unlikely). I will investigate further. I have replaced the Tie rod on the passenger side and had the lower ball joint replaced on the driver's side. Maybe something was left unconnected...

Quick Reply: 4x4 won't engage