Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 not working - would it be cover under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 4x4 not working - would it be cover under warranty

I have been reading different threads about four wheel drive not working. last week we had a snow storm in my area. I had turned the switch, the dash said 4x4, but it didn't feel like all 4 wheels were spinning.

so I put the truck on the lift, I heard the motor go when going between 2 wheel and 4 wheels but the wheels will not spin.

I still have 2 years about 40000 miles left on my warranty from Ford, if I take the truck to a dealership should it be fixed under warranty?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Depends what is wrong with it. I took mine in for IWE issues. They put a new transfer case motor in it, which wasn't covered by warranty. About $200 if i remember correctly. That didn't fix it. So it went back and they messed with it for a while and said they put a new in it. That didn't fix it. I was now having a rotational noise that i never had before they started on it. Sounded like i had a set of mud tires on the front. Finally after the third time taking it back, they replaced the IWE that i had told them was the problem when i dropped it off the first time.
But back to your question. The hub and the IWE's were covered under warranty. I also think they replaced one of the check valves. The reason i had to pay for the t case motor was because it is on the outside of the t case so they say it isn't covered. How convenient right?
So i think you should be covered with your warranty. You can look through your paperwork and it will have a list of parts covered in the powertrain.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Where does yours stop spinning? Is the front drive shaft spinning? If yes, are the CV's spinning? If yes, then your hubs aren't engaged. Actuators are common to break down. Check that the vacuum hoses are connected and then replace the actuators as needed. There's some good videos on YouTube about how to replace CV's and Actuators.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Old 12-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for the link, I just don't have the time to pull my truck apart, so I dropped it off at a dealer and they it is an switch issue that is causing the wheels not to engage---- of course it is not covered under a warranty, its going to cost me like $200 to fix

I said well it is a part of the four wheel drive how does that not covered - he say something like per Ford it is a part is not included on their warranty

I was like screw it, I need it fixed, so told them to order the part

Quick Reply: 4x4 not working - would it be cover under warranty