Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 not fully disengaged & a/c not working properly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4x4 not fully disengaged & a/c not working properly?

I have an 05 4.6 4x4 I have been having problems with what I think is my 4x4 accuators not fully disengaging and causing a something that resembles a loose chain sound coming from the passenger tire whenever I try to increase speed going up an incline. When I let off the gas the sound stops. I have also been having a problem with my a/c and heater, when ever I turn them on my idle drops and feels like the truck wants to die out. When I drive and coasts the idle drops below normal and when I finally come to a stop the idle drops so much the truck died a few times. Oh yea and no check engine light.
I recently changed hub assembly, calibers, rotors, pads, tires and had an alignment. Also recharged the 134 but to no avail still have these problems. Tried shooting some carb cleaner in vaccums to listen for change in idle but nothing.. Please anyone have any idea's as to what the hell is going on with my truck.. thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

You have a vacuum leak most likely caused by the auto hubs. Normally a simple cheap but labor intensive fix.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having close to the same problem! My 4x4 and a/c went out at the same time. Also, shifter on column would let me shift. Had to use shift lock override for a while, but now is working fine. A/C and 4x4 are still not working. Have checked every fuse on the truck. Any ideas? Anyone? Signed; shade tree!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by makiniboy
I have an 05 4.6 4x4 I have been having problems with what I think is my 4x4 accuators not fully disengaging and causing a something that resembles a loose chain sound coming from the passenger tire whenever I try to increase speed going up an incline. When I let off the gas the sound stops. I have also been having a problem with my a/c and heater, when ever I turn them on my idle drops and feels like the truck wants to die out. When I drive and coasts the idle drops below normal and when I finally come to a stop the idle drops so much the truck died a few times. Oh yea and no check engine light.
I recently changed hub assembly, calibers, rotors, pads, tires and had an alignment. Also recharged the 134 but to no avail still have these problems. Tried shooting some carb cleaner in vaccums to listen for change in idle but nothing.. Please anyone have any idea's as to what the hell is going on with my truck.. thanks
Inspect your check valves in the vacuum system, there should be three inline. When they are bad, this will cause the IWE's to partially engage during engine load conditions (like going up inclines).

Quick Reply: 4x4 not fully disengaged & a/c not working properly?