Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4X4 Hub Assembly R/R

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4X4 Hub Assembly R/R

Tomorrow I will be replacing my front end passengers side hub assembly. It has gone bad as evident from wheel play, and also started to unevenly wear the tire but I wanted to see if anyone has advice before I get started.

On hand I have the new assembly (Timken), bearing grease, Blue loctite, and anti-zieze. I understand the procedure for removing and replacing the assembly, which I will post pictures of once complete. Plans: remove tire and hub nut, remove caliper, bracket, and rotor, disconnect ABS sensor, and finally remove the hub assembly itself. I am planning on putting locktite on all of the bolts and anti-sieze between the wheel knuckle and the hub assembly.

Does anyone know where I can find the exact torque specs for the bolts? I've heard conflicting information from two different videos. Also, would anyone agree its ok to not replace the hub nut as long as I put some anti-sieze on it?

The specs I was going to use are:

4 hub bolts to 95ft lbs
1 axle nut to 20ft lbs
2 – 18mm caliper bracket bots to 95ft lbs
2 – 13mm caliper bolts to 25ft lbs
6 lugnuts to 110ft lbs

Any input or information would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:03 AM

Everything worked out as planned. I did the job as described above and it took about 2 hours total. It could be done quicker, but I paced myself as this was my first time. I used the torque specs above except the lugnuts should be tightened to 150 fl/lbs. I put loctite on all of the bolts and the hub assembly nut, and anti-sieze between the knuckle and back of assembly. Any questions, please ask.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tcruz0004
Everything worked out as planned. I did the job as described above and it took about 2 hours total. It could be done quicker, but I paced myself as this was my first time. I used the torque specs above except the lugnuts should be tightened to 150 fl/lbs. I put loctite on all of the bolts and the hub assembly nut, and anti-sieze between the knuckle and back of assembly. Any questions, please ask.
Good job, its fun learning to be a diyer, it takes awhile to get the hang of things/tools but u save alot of money
Old 06-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Much agreed, thanks!

Quick Reply: 4X4 Hub Assembly R/R