Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4X4 High- wont work

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4X4 High- wont work

Big snow storm this morning, get in to go to work, put it in 4hi, 4X4 light is on, get out of the driveway and after driving a short way at low speed I can feel I'm not in 4X4 anymore. Check dash and the 4X4 light is now out. 4-low works fine but it wont go into 4-hi. Anyone have any suggestions? Dealer cant see it untill Monday. I have used 4X4 often with no problems untill now.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did your transfer case fall off? mine does that all the time, dam POS! if it did then I would suggest gorilla glue lol but seriously, I heard somewhere (cant remember exactly) but w/ the electronic engaging 4x4's that when you switch it into 4x4 put it into reverse first and go a few feet then go forward, thats what I do and I have yet to have problems w/ mine, unlike alot of my friends trucks who always have a hard time engaging.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 AM

Thanks but thats not my problem. I had a 1990 Bronco that had the first generation of auto locking hubs on the front. To get into 4X4 you had to move the lever on the floor, back up a few feet and you would hear the hubs lock in and you were good to go. As an option Ford also had a button on the dash to engage to 4X4. I think my problem is with the electronic switching on the transfer case. Sometimes simpler is better.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nashtruck
Thanks but thats not my problem. I had a 1990 Bronco that had the first generation of auto locking hubs on the front. To get into 4X4 you had to move the lever on the floor, back up a few feet and you would hear the hubs lock in and you were good to go. As an option Ford also had a button on the dash to engage to 4X4. I think my problem is with the electronic switching on the transfer case. Sometimes simpler is better.
I am thankful that I have the manual hubs. I know the auto hubs can have their problems, over time.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dewman
I am thankful that I have the manual hubs. I know the auto hubs can have their problems, over time.
Amen, I also had a 1980 Bronco that had manual hubs and a manual tranny. Once I broke the rear driveshaft and was still able to drive it home with the front axle. You cant do that with the new trucks.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:26 PM

The dealer inspected the truck today and says its the switch motor on the transfer case. I miss the lever on the floor to switch into 4X4. That allways worked!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nashtruck
The dealer inspected the truck today and says its the switch motor on the transfer case. I miss the lever on the floor to switch into 4X4. That allways worked!
I've got that too, goes nicely with the manual hubs.

Quick Reply: 4X4 High- wont work