Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 engauging problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4x4 engauging problems

I have a 2005 Fx4 Super Crew I bought recently , during the first snow of the year I tried putting in into 4Hi . The light comes on in the cluster , but I hear a nastey clicking sound when moving forward like something isnt fully engauged . And it wont go into 4LO at all , I am guessing it has something to do with the vaccum system that actually ingauges the hubs . Any direction would be awesome , I have had Fords all my life but this is the newest one , and man they are making them complicated .

Karl

Last edited by fordcrazy68; 11-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the clicking noise is from the front wheels then probably have bad integrated wheel ends. They fail due to bad check valves in the vaccum lines near the soleniod at R/H rear of engine compartment. As for 4x4 low, make sure you have it in nuetral and at a full stop to switch it in and out. Let us know what you find
Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Like Kobi said start by replacing the IWE solenoid behind the battery on the firewall...very common problem.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:45 AM

i have pulled the vaccum lines from the IWEs while the engine is running , they are working as they should . That is the axle is free with hoses installed , and locked when removed . I do not have a vaccum gauge so I dont know what ammount of vaccum the system is pulling . So would the problem still be in the vaccum selionoid , or the IWEs ?????

Last edited by fordcrazy68; 11-25-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly still IWEs cause the torque on them when driving is far greater than what you can put on them by hand. Leave the lines off, put in 4x4 and do some circles on dry ground. See if you hear them slip. To clarify, the soleniod is possibly the problem, but that's not where is was pointing the finger to. Near that soleniod are 2 one way check valves that let air flow towards the ebgine but not back. Take them off and blow threw them. If they let air threw both ways then replace. Cheap and easy. When you load up an engine system vaccum drops, if those check valves aren't doing there job, the IWEs start grabbing and grinding down.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM

K I gotta away from the first thing they tech you in mechanics 101 my teacher called it K I S S ( keep it simple stupid ) After reading all the front end post on her I convinced myseld it was in the IWE system , well it wasnt even close . After a couple of hours and a trip to a friends garage puttin all four corners on jack stands it was , ( yea ready ) ?????

It turned out to be worn and cracked third member isolator bushings , they had become loose enough to shift under load when the 4x4 was engauged . This created the sound I was hearing leading me to belive it was in the IWE system .

Something for everyone to look at on their trucks as well .

Quick Reply: 4x4 engauging problems