Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 Diagnosis, Do you concur?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Diagnosis, Do you concur?

I've been reading some of the posts concerning the common issues of the 4x4 systems. So here's my situation.

2006 F150 with the 4x4 not engaging. When turning the selector to 4Hi, the lite comes on and I can here the transfer case click. However, front wheels are not getting power while driving.

I've checked the IWE solenoid, and it appears that that it is not working properly. There is vacuum in the top port regardless of the position of the 4x4 selector. So the solenoid is an easy replacement.

However, when I remove the vacuum lines from the hub actuators, they still don't seem to engage. (I jacked up the front, and the wheels will still turn without the front drive shaft.)

So it seems to me I need to replace the IWE solenoid and most likely both of the hub actuators. Can anyone concur with this diagnosis or recommend other checks?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

The vacuum line disengages the IWEs. They stay "locked in" until there is vacuum put on them.

Solenoid would be a good start.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:07 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 337 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by travvandam77
I've been reading some of the posts concerning the common issues of the 4x4 systems. So here's my situation.

2006 F150 with the 4x4 not engaging. When turning the selector to 4Hi, the lite comes on and I can here the transfer case click. However, front wheels are not getting power while driving.

I've checked the IWE solenoid, and it appears that that it is not working properly. There is vacuum in the top port regardless of the position of the 4x4 selector. So the solenoid is an easy replacement.

However, when I remove the vacuum lines from the hub actuators, they still don't seem to engage. (I jacked up the front, and the wheels will still turn without the front drive shaft.)

So it seems to me I need to replace the IWE solenoid and most likely both of the hub actuators. Can anyone concur with this diagnosis or recommend other checks?

Sounds like both are bad, but for confirmation I would get a vacuum pump and hook it up to your IWE's on each side, and see if you can get them to engage/disengage.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

^^^ this ^^^

Quick Reply: 4x4 Diagnosis, Do you concur?