Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 Activation

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Activation

Hey all. So I'm not a F-150 owner yet will will be real soon. I'm looking at two '06s. Both on local dealer lots. My question for all of you is one has a manual lever on the floor and the other has a switch on the dash for the 4x4. Why is this? Are the t-cases different? Different trim package? Both are extended cab XLT with the 5.4L. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by trlredy; 06-04-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The pros will respond shortly, in the mean time here is what Ford use to offer. Times change so my input could be 20 years old. Manual engagement or electric? Both were offered. Only time I had an oportunity to use my 90 BII electric shift, it would not engage because of the cold weather, (snow skiing and Mammonth Mtn). Drove back to warm temperatures, worked fine. Never did pursue the problem. Another option offered was manual locking hubs or automatic. Not sure at all what is offered today. I see concerns about the vaccuum actuators on some trucks. Check other threads on this subject. " Clunking sound in front axles." Again my experience is from way back, but as I remember the Warn locking hubs did not offer engagement during engine braking. Going down steep grades is 4WD. They would disengage. Manual hubs stayed locked in. This concern I would think would have been re-engineered. Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with the lever if you're going to be using it often, especially 4 low. It can be a PITA to get in and out of 4low with the switch sometimes and one time when it was cold it took me a good 5 minutes to get it out of 4low.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Activation