Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4WD Troubleshooting before pressure testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Default 4WD Troubleshooting before pressure testing

2004 F150 Super crew lariat with 150k miles.

Bought the truck this summer. Heard Tcase clunk when putting in 4wd, and assumed 4wd was working. Didn't realize at the time that this was half of the equation.

Fast forward to today. I replaced the 4wd actuator/solenoid with the updated Motorcraft part with the water shield.

While testing it out, I found the hubs didn't engage. Drove 150 feet up my icy driveway under light acceleration and I could feel the assend slipping. As I approach the top of the hill, I heard the "dragging pop can" noise. I let off the gas, and the hubs never engage. I decide to give it some gas, and in doing so they engage after some serious grinding noises.

Tried it one more time, and again they didn't want to engage until I was at the top of the hill, with the same unnerving noises.

The next step will be testing each hub with a pump. I'm assuming it's the IWE thing behind the hub that's to blame? Anyone experience this before?

I changed my front diff fluid a couple months ago.. I'll be curious to see how much metal is in there now

Quick Reply: 4WD Troubleshooting before pressure testing